Monday, November 21, 2016

My Other Creations: Gift Card Boxes with Coffee Filter Leaves

This week's theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog is "Trio-tastic!"  I made three gift card boxes using three basic components: coffee filter leaves, die-cut sentiments and background stamping.

I'm not a coffee drinker (hot chocolate is my addiction), but I do have an appreciation for coffee filters as a crafting medium.  Using Tim Holtz's Tattered Leaves die and some coffee filters, I cut some leaves.  I layered the filters three-thick and the die still cut them without a problem.  After I cut the leaves, I smudged Distress Ink onto them with a sponge.  While I like vellum, coffee filters are fantastic because they have more texture than vellum, so they take the ink on very well.


Once my leaves were done, I worked on the background stamping of my boxes.  Instead of stamping directly onto the box lids, I stamped onto square pieces of paper the same size as the lids so that if I messed up, it wouldn't be as catastrophic.  I stamped a coffee ring from Darkroom Door and some dots from Dina Wakley.  I took a black Sharpie pen and outlined the stamped images here and there.


Next I smudged on more Distress Ink with a sponge.


I added one of my coffee filter leaves, then I cut some sentiments using dies from Reverse Confetti and My Favorite Things and inked them and outlined them as well.



I glued the collages to my box lids and filled the boxes with tissue paper and gift cards.



These boxes were pretty quick and easy to make, which is a great combo for the holidays. Here are the supplies I used, which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:




How will you be trio-tastic this week?  Be sure to upload your creations to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!


14 comments:

  1. Your gift boxes are so cool, Andrea! I always love your bright cheery colors.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your style is so evident and I love that! Gorgeous watercolor and artsy look on these, and love the coffee filter use! FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous Andrea! Love all the colours and those great leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems to be so simple but the hardest part is to come up with the idea of making that! I love the brightness and freshness of your trio. Great vibrant colors ans fantastic stamps! Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simon seriously sells coffee filters? Who knew! But your post has made an important point about this paper and it would be great to use in collage because of its thin texture. This was not something I ever considered until now so thank you! I had to laugh when you talked about messing up creating a coffee ring because under different circumstances that would be the whole point. The sharpie outlines create terrific visual interest. Another job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FAB boxes! I don't even mind you sacrificing such an important aspect of my daily life lol These are really beautiful and I do love your coffee filter leaves--soooo pretty....mine would be in more Fall like colors and smell like DD French Vanilla lol Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous leaves, Andrea! I love that you thought of using an everyday item to make these. Now that coffee ring is fabulous - who would think we could get so excited about something that we probably once complained about! I bet hot chocolate would leave a ring too. Love the wonderful vibrant colors! Happy Thanksgiving! Maura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely coffee filter leaves! Your style is so cool! :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. adorable boxes Andra...I love how you used the coffee ring stamps and those vellum leaves are gorgeous...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these beautiful colors and patterns you created on these boxes, Andra. Great inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a creative mind!!! Definitely I think you're a genius! the leaves are absolutely stunning and your creative process so clever! The background fabulous ! Great work ! barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are just gorgeous, Andrea ~ bright, vibrant colours and I love how you've used coffee filters for the leaves which create a softness again the bold background ~ fabulous work as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, Andrea! This is so cool! Love that you've outlined the stamps and the vibrant colors are always amazing! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all of these, especially the idea of using coffee filter paper... what gorgeous texture :)

    ReplyDelete