Sunday, December 8, 2013

Tutorials: Tissue Paper Pendants

This week's theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog is to create something fantastic using tissue paper!  After all, we have plenty of the stuff flying around this time of year, so we may as well whip it up into a project.

I decided to continue my ICE Resin experiments and made these tissue paper pendants which I then turned into this necklace:



I've said before that I'm a firm believer in jewelry never being too big, bold or crazy, so I made plenty of these pendants to go around!  I was intimidated to try them at first, but once you get going, they're not too hard at all.  Here's how I made them:

Start with some craft or jewelry wire.  I used two different gauges of wire and if you look closely you can see the differences in wire thicknesses.  With wire, the thicker it is, the lower the number.  So 16-gauge wire is thicker than 20-gauge wire.  That seems counter-intuitive to my brain, but I also flunked math, so I can't really talk.

I used a nice chunky wire (purchased at Jo Ann's) and it did make it easier to adhere the tissue paper to it because there was a thicker "base." 



Bend the wire into whatever shape you want your pendant to be.  Remember to leave a long "tail" poking out the top so you can twist it onto a chain later.



Lay your pendant loop on top of tissue paper.  I used Tim Holtz's pre-printed "Melange" tissue wrap, but you could use any type of tissue paper, patterned or plain.  Using a pencil, trace your pendant shape onto the tissue paper.


Cut out your tissue paper shape.  Now this is where you can add color or other stamping if you want to.  I used Tim Holtz's Picked Raspberry distress ink to add some pink to my tissue paper.  I then stamped on a "Love Potion #9" sentiment from Artistic Outpost using StazOn black ink.  I didn't care if the pink smeared or bled when I added resin, but make sure to use a permanent ink for any  image or sentiment that you want to "stay put" once you add liquid.



After your ink dries, get out your rubber gloves and mix up some resin!  For this project, a little resin goes a long way, so only mix a small amount to avoid wasting it.  You can buy mixing containers or you can use a disposable plastic cup that you've cut the top half off of.  You can use a Popsicle stick to stir it with.  I would also recommend working over parchment paper or waxed paper for easy clean-up.  Once your resin's mixed according to package directions, dunk your tissue paper into the resin or drizzle resin from the container over your tissue paper.  Smear it all over your tissue paper with your fingers and work the resin into your tissue paper.  Think of it like paper mache only you're using resin instead of flour/water goop to coat your paper with.



Now that your tissue paper is completely coated and saturated with resin, lay it down on your wire form.  The resin that you've put on the tissue paper will stick to the wire and hold it in place.  It doesn't matter if the tissue paper overlaps the wire a bit because it just adds to the quirky whimsical look.  Now you just have to let it dry and you're done!  It will have a translucent shiny look to it when it's dry and you can attach your pendant to anything you want.



In the example above, the wire isn't as obvious because I laid the tissue paper on top of it.  On the necklace I made, I flipped some of the pendants over so the "wire frame" showed up more.  Either way looks good (in my opinion).



I'm still a novice at all of this resin stuff, but Susan Lenart Kazmer's book called Resin Alchemy makes all things seem possible.  It's fact-filled and reassuring, which I appreciate!

You may also notice some pendants that have colorful butterflies, etc. That's actually some Washi tape that I was experimenting with and which seemed to work nicely, too, since it is sort of transparent like tissue paper.  I also stamped some random images here and there in addition to the patterns on the tissue paper.





All in all, this project was a fun one to try out.  Here are some fabulous supplies available from Simon Says Stamp that can make this creation possible:




So what are you going to do with tissue paper this week?  It's a busy time of year, but I hope you'll share your brilliance on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog!  After all, what would be a better holiday treat than $50 at the Simon Says Stamp store just for you? 50dollar_voucher_600px

34 comments:

  1. this project is off the hook, off the charts, AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AMAZING! How do you come up with such incredible ideas? It's just mind blowing how stunning this is. You have to do matching earrings!! Resin in another toy I want to play with one day. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, that is something else! I can't find words to describe how my I like it and I'm pretty much of a blabbermouth. This is just a stunning piece of jewelry. I think it looks better than anything I've seen in the fancy flyers that have come in the mail over the last few weeks. It's definitely more creative and original and I'd be prouder to wear this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY WORD!!!! You are seriously amazing!!! I love everything about this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea....you are amazing! I really love this piece. I'm such a fraidy cat when it comes to playing with Ice Resin! i have had some for a long time and just can't seem to work up the courage to PLAY with it! This piece is really cool and is pulling me off of that safe fence I've been sitting on! :) I love the little pendants you've created simply with tissue paper and stamping. The washi tape butterfly is also gorgeous! Your design of this piece is really pretty! I would proudly wear this! :) You really are so creative and talented! Such original ideas that always are inspiring. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. FAB. U. LOUS!!! I love, love, love the necklace, and your tutorial rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Andrea! What a fabulous work of art! You have inspired me to pull out my Ice Resin! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrea, this is amazing! What a fanstastic idea for the tissue challenge. Love how it turned out and the finished necklace is stunning. Thank you for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow.. Andrea, this is such a fun and gorgeous creation! I love how you created those pendants with tissue and Ice Resin. Such a brilliant idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so flippin' cool!!! Just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Andrea! What a cool idea! Love your creative mind! It comes up with all kinds of brilliant things! The necklace is gorgeous!! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great, artistic piece of jewelry. I'm so glad a friend shared your link with me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cool pendant necklace, Andrea!! I love the design & colors!!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am super duper impressed~I need to get my hands on resin now! Thank you for your tutorial Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are amazing, I must try this. Thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Wow! Wow! I love how this looks! Fabulous necklace! Brilliant idea with the resin tissue paper!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is sooooo, sooooo, sooooo cool! Awesome piece of art. I would so buy one if you sold them...something to consider! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely fantastic inspirational piece using tissue. A very clever idea, executed beautifully. Love the subtle colours too. You knocked this one out of the park. Love it. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Completely blown away by this - glorious idea and executed to perfection... It's stunning! I've also been completely seduced by your mention of Resin Alchemy - it's on its way to me as I type this!! Thank you for the out-of-this-world inspiration! (Okay, enough with the exclamation marks.)
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you were very brave! And your bravery paid off with a stunning piece. Kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Andrea this is an incredible idea! I'm speechless! FAntastic and thanks for sharing this! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  22. This project is amazing. It's gorgeous!
    I've never used resin before and I've always wanted to. I LOVE how this looks! After seeing this, I've added resin to must-try list. Thanks for the book recommendation because I've added that to my Christmas list. :) You are such an inspiration. Thanks Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Andre! This is so totally awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your necklace-great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  25. gorgeous - The paper pendants are not domed right, just smeared with resin??

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi- Yes! I did just smear the tissue paper with resin, but you could also add more to give it that domed look if you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a cool way to use the resin and tissue paper! I LOVE the necklace.
    judypimperl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my stars that is beyond fabulous! You make it look and sound so easy to achieve--that is inspiration. Wow. Thank you so much for creating and sharing this stunning piece and tips to go with it!!! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I tried to make this necklace but the ICEresin wouldn't dry past a slightly tacky stage, the leftover in the cup dried hard as a rock so I knew I had the mixture correct. what did I do wrong? I moved the 'pendants' all over the house, even on top of the hot water heater trying to get them totally dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam! Oh no! So sorry to hear about your trauma! I have only used ICE resin on a few projects and am not an expert on it, so I'm not sure why yours didn't set up, especially when it hardened in the cup! I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what could've happened in your situation, but I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for you. What I do know is that mine took a lot longer to dry than the package instructions indicated. I had to let the pieces dry for several days for them to be hard and not tacky to the touch. Temperature/humidity and even light also seemed to affect how hard it dried, but it looks like you tried to solve that, too, by moving your pieces around to warmer areas. Mine did take longer to dry when they were in a dark cold room. Wish I knew what else to tell you! Maybe by now they've dried harder?? Don't give up and I hope you've had better results since!

      Delete
  30. I was looking in Pinterest and low and behold I found this really neat thing under paper beads... which I LOVE TO make... and low and behold it was you... Second time in two weeks our paths have crossed.. and I have to say that this is ONE BEAUTIFUL Piece... I love all the charms and it has 100% charm to it in all ways... love it Andrea... Your work really shines above so many others... Love it... can hardly wait to see more things you have created...Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Andrea it's me again. I am admiring your beautiful creations here and on Pinterest. You are so talented! I really want to try out this ice resin, sounds and looks amazing. Thanks so much for sharing all these wonderful pieces and tutorials. Your newest follower. Karen.x wintonrosepapercreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is out of the world beautiful ! Love it. I have some stuff called Scrabble and Glass glaze..I bought it from Etsy. Is this similar to Ice resin ?
    hugs, Joey

    ReplyDelete