Sunday, June 29, 2014

My Other Creations: "Wish" Gift Card Tin

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge is to incorporate WHITE into one of your creations.  This is about as terrifying of a challenge theme as there could be for me!  I am just not a use-white type of gal, unless it's a white layer which I then cover with other colors.  I like white, but I struggle to make it a focal point in my projects.  Be that as it may, you can always find me using white Gesso, so that's the route I took when creating this gift card tin:



See?  That counts as white, right??  Okay, okay- I admit that I couldn't resist adding some Spun Sugar distress paint to give it a pink vibe, not to mention Colorbox rose-colored ink, but I started out with a layer of white Gesso and I still left a bit of it showing, so I'm counting it as good!

The tin I used is hinged on one side and is about the size of an Altoids tin.  If you need a good place to buy tins or bottles (especially in bulk), check out Specialty Bottle.

The front of my tin is decorated with fabric scraps and an apothecary jar, whose cork lid I adorned with decorative pins.  I got the "wish" sentiment from an old children's book that was on its last leg and I added a paper flower using a Martha Stewart hydrangea punch.



I love to make gift card tins because they show that you did a little more than run to the Walmart gift card wall at 11:59 pm on your friend's birthday because you totally procrastinated (not that I have a problem with that- everyone I know loves gift cards)!  But for those people who want to make gift cards even more personal, decorative tins or boxes are a great way to go. 

Here are some of the supplies I used, which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:




I can't wait to see what wonders you create with our white theme!  Upload them to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!
50dollar_voucher_600px

17 comments:

  1. This is wonderful and so beautifully detailed! From the painting, to the little bottle....just fabulous! I knew I was saving all my altoid tins for a reason. Just may need to try this. Thanks so much for the altered project and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, such great design, LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! Love the soft colors! Really pretty! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea! I love the soft colors you used :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very pretty! What an amazing tin! Love the white wash and fabric details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo, Andrea!
    Now, I'm REALLY impressed! You stepped outside of your comfort zone and still managed to stay true to your style. Dang, girl. You can do ANYTHING!
    Beautiful project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such pretty pastels - and I love those delicately shabby chic fabrics all frayed and textural.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Dear Friend ANDREA... Oh My GOODNESS... Again... I LOVE THIS... so very 'girlie' and sweet.. the lucky person to get this one... I love the little box... the flower with the stamping on it... and the FABRIC.. you are something else girl... love this entire piece... 100%.... have to find a little altoid tin and create... just used my bottle this size... need to buy more... what else is new... Love, Light and Peace... Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, Bonnie, that Andrea is really a girlie-girl! Have you noticed how often she reaches for Spun Sugar? (wink)

    It's a lovely tin, girlie-girl, and the fabric pieces are such a nice touch. Thank you, as well for the link to specialty bottle, how nice to shop for tins in all shapes and sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love your beautiful creation, Andrea. The color scheme and all the details are wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful altered tin Andrea! Wonderful textures and I love the fabric wrapped around the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is so sweet- I love all the pretty bits you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore, I absolutely adore this altered tin! Delicate, with a touch of fabric ... sweet ! Great project! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely adore the soft, shabby chic feel of this project. It's so delicate but packed with such amazing detail and texture...love it Andrea! Have a great weekend... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. so very pretty! love the soft pink and that heart pin :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet gift card holder! I love the wish jar on the front and I agree a totally wonderful thing to have on hand! (For when your daughter comes to you and says I am going to a friends house tonight for her birthday!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the little pieces of fabric!

    ReplyDelete