Monday, June 30, 2014

Tutorials: Faux Stamping with Embossing Folders

I don't mind telling you that I am quite enamored with embossing folders.  When I saw this new butterfly folder from We R Memory Keepers/Lifestyle Crafts, I had to give it a whirl.  I also wanted the butterflies to really stand out, so I decided to try using the folder like a stamp.

Here's how the tag turned out, followed by a step-by-step of the process:


To make an embossing folder act like a stamp, I rubbed black ink over the section I wanted highlighted.  Warning!  The ink may or may not wash off your folder afterward, so if you're one of those people who likes to keep your embossing folders in mint condition, this might not be the technique for you!  


I'm sure some inks work better than others, but I tried Ranger Jet Black Archival ink and it worked fine.  Whatever ink you choose, have your paper and machine ready because you have to move fast before the ink dries!  Once you've rubbed your ink onto your folder, close it up with your paper in between and run it through your machine like you would with any embossing folder.

Here's what it looked like after I took it out of the machine and cut it into a tag shape:


The butterfly outlines are just dark enough to allow me to color them in (just like a stamp), which I did with watercolors:


Next I added some Distress Ink to the background and edges.


I added some white polka dots by using acrylic paint on a stamp:


Last but not least, I added some embellishments, including the word, "fly."


I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this butterfly embossing folder and I think it enjoyed masquerading as a stamp for the afternoon.  Some people might have fancier ways of converting their embossing folders to stamps, but this was quick and easy and worked great for me.


The paper is also from We R Memory Keepers/Lifestyle Crafts (Story Time Collection), the flower is from Prima, the "fly" alphabet stamps are from Recollections, the polka dot stamp is from Stampabilities, and the piece of ruler fabric is from Tim Holtz.

15 comments:

  1. A fabulous technique Andrea and you got it looking just right with those butterflies and beautiful water colouring. The distress ink and white dots finished it off perfectly. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really beautiful tag , love the soft summery colours and the splashes of white and of course the gorgeous fibres to finish it off x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant Andrea and such a great technique! Love it and great colours too!! The fibres are the perfect finishing touch for this beautiful tag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great! Thank you for sharing
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. On my desk right now is a piece where I played with an embossing folder and paint!. I'm so glad to have seen your as it takes it further then I did and I like the look. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea,I do love to get more then one use out of something. Thanks for the tutorial
    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Andrea, you make me blush... I had fun and really enjoy doing challenges... I love the direction that they give to me.. other wise I am all over the place... that happens even when I am doing the challenges... LOL... today instead of doing one tag... it ended up being 4 tags... and a project... LOL... why??? because I just HAD TO DO IT... LOL.. .just love it all.. I love bringing my personal feelings into my art... and Mother Earth is a friend to me... she needs help and I want to try and help her as much as possible... we have an organic farm, and are trying to be self sustaining in as many ways as possible... LOL.. we still have to go out and buy stuff... (Ranger alone !!! ) but we are trying... Green beans are on hold, as I am waiting for a piece to my pressure cooker!!!! UGh.. and my phone is out... so I am having real issues with GREEN BEANS... but we are eating a lot of them... and that is good too...

    thanks for all the support and love you have given to me... I am a GREAT fan of yours and love all you create... that is for sure... SO WITH THAT IN MIND... this tag above...

    OURSTANDINGLY CREATIVE .... love it.. the colors are truly my favorite right now... Pink, Yellow, and that bright PINK... along with my old time favorite TURQUOISE... love it all.. your butterflies are wonderful and the embellishments really make this talk... love it all...
    so have a great evening... and enjoy creating tomorrow... I think I am going to go make a phone call in town... LOL... and then relax... no beans and no studio... chill as they say.. thanks for all your input....
    Love, Light and Peace..Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous tag. Very inspiring too. I've never tried this technique before. I really love your results. Looks like letterpress. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love the way this tag turned out with your inked embossing folder technique. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andra I love all the steps you took to make this amazing tag! Then you too the time to show us all the steps you took to make it. Love the way you ink embossed those butterflies and then the best part is you topped it off with polka dots! Love this!

    Thank you so much for your amazingly kind comment about my card. Way too kind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea!!! sorry computer changed it I promise!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't - stop- staring! This is beautiful! I am TOTALLY going to try out this technique! Thanks for he inspiration! You've got me looking at my embossing folders in a whole new light!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an amazing tag Andra - you certainly have a knack for creating - I want to say thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such lovely encouraging comments - it is truly an honor and blessing to me for you to stop by - have a wonderful week = Gail

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE your tag - its gorgeous and thanks for showing the step by step guide. I'd never thought of using embossing folders like stamps. Thanks also for your really lovely comment on my blog - it was so vey encouraging :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Andrea! How much effort have you put into this??!! That's insane. I love all the detailing. The tag looks gorgeous. I am not able to rightly convey my thoughts, but this is something I could never pull off :) These types of vintage/shabby chic stuff(sorry if I do not know to categorize much) require more control since it's pretty easy to go overboard. And you've done it effortlessly. Great control! It's so pleasing to the eye.

    Thank you for leaving such generous compliments on my card :) I greatly appreciate you dropping by!

    Much Regards,
    Vithya

    ReplyDelete