Sunday, July 20, 2014

My Other Creations: Shakespeare Banner

With this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge theme being "A Mid-Summer" project, I was overjoyed to be able to take it in a Shakespearean direction (cause I'm nerdy like that)!  I decided to immortalize one of my favorite Shakespeare sonnets (number 29) on a banner, with one section of the sonnet written on each pennant.  

Enjoy this post and when you're done, click here if you want to see my follow-up tutorial on how I made these pennants.


I don't know that we can ever say exactly what an author meant when he/she wrote something, but here's how I interpret this sonnet and what it means to me.  

We start off with a person (a man, I imagine), who's penniless and out of luck and views himself as an outcast:

He's such a loser in his own mind that he thinks heaven ignores him and he curses his fate.

He wishes he could be someone who's more optimistic and who has more friends.

He wishes he was more talented or influential and he finds no joy in the things that should make him happy.

He's to the point of despising himself with all of these depressing thoughts, but then he thinks about someone who loves him.

When he thinks about this person's love for him, his whole mind frame shifts to a happier place.

When he remembers that he is loved by someone amazing, he is filled with so much happiness that he wouldn't want to trade places with anyone, even kings.

Call me a total dork, but I think this sonnet is so romantic!  Not only that, but it reminds me to appreciate what I have (such as the wonderful people in my life) instead of wasting mental energy comparing myself to others or wishing things were different.

I used a ton of great supplies on this banner, which measures about 6 feet in length, including a great new pennant die by Little B that has pennants in different shapes and sizes.  The thing I like about this set of dies is that the pennants all have a fold tab included at the top of them, so it's easy to thread them onto ribbon or string.

I thoroughly enjoyed this week's theme and if you want to read the whole sonnet uninterrupted, here's a link: Sonnet 29.

Here are the supplies I used from Simon Says Stamp for my banner:




So how will you be inspired by our mid-summer theme this week?  I can't wait to see what you come up with!  Upload your projects to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store.  That would be a wonderful mid-summer treat indeed!

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

28 comments:

  1. Love love love it.Love the backgrounds ,the embellishing ,the stamping and most of all the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wow wow absolutely gorgeous stunning bunting, I love the colours and all the stamping and added details is awesome. Really like your interpretation :-) Kezzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is so gorgeous!! I love the sonnet and your interpretation. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple gorgeous and amazing! All your textures and imagery are wonderful with the sonnet. Thanks for sharing!~kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! It's wonderful on so many different levels. I love the stamped prose, but it's the way that you combined them that I find amazing. Brilliant banner, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to have that banner hanging in my craft space. Your artistic talent on the pennants is really something, they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your banner caught my eye when I saw it on Simon's Blog FB post so I had to come take a look. Absolutely beautiful! It's a feast for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG... what a wonderful piece this is... you have outdone OWN best of the best... LOVE THIS Andrea... just beautiful on so many levels... the words... and meaning... the colors, the little banners... just everything is breath takingly GREAT... I love them all... if I had to pick one... I couldn't... they are super fun too... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous banner Andrea! stunning colours and I love how!you were inspired by Shakespeare. A wonderful take on the challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! What a neat idea! And the colors you blended together are just yummy! :)


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my Andrea! What a stunning banner! I love the variety of colors and all the stamping! My daughter would love something like this! She is in a Shakespeare club :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is such a gorgeous banner!! Fantastic use of so many products and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Andrea, this is totally amazing. Love your idea behind the banner and each and every banner is so unique and special. Gorgeous colours, stencilling, stamping and designs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wish there was a process video on these. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Traci, for your kind words! I will be showing how to do this process in a later post, so stay tuned!

      Delete
  15. LOVE the sonnet, and the banners are gorgeous. I don't even know how to start making something like this, could you give us some steps? Did you stencil first then stamp or watercolor or what ever technique??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! Thanks for the compliments. I'll be showing this process step-by-step in a future post, but until then, here is a quick summary: start with subtly patterned paper, then do a watercolor technique on it. I did this by stamping some Distress Ink onto a non-stick craft mat then sprayed the ink with a couple of spritzes of water. Use your paper to "mop up" the ink and you'll get a watercolor look. Use a heat tool to dry out your paper. Once the paper was dry, I added more splatters of color using the Tim Holtz splatters stencil. After that, I added the lace or die-cut edges to the tops of the banners. I stamped on other designs and stenciled some patterns on, too. The words of the sonnet (alphabet stamps) was the last step. Check back for the full tutorial, but I hope that helps for now.

      Delete
    2. Wow! Did you stamp the words using individual alphabet stamps!?? That's impressive. Well, the whole banner is pretty impressive. And inspirational! :) Thank you so much for sharing, I immediately felt an urge to head off to the craft room and just make something! :)

      Delete
  16. Individually, each pennant is so pretty, and grouped as a banner, it's spectacular!
    What a great way to interpret the sonnet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Swoon....... How many times I've come back Andrea to have another look at ur pretty banners. Waiting for d tut. Love d layering with diff media still gives a unified feel. Enjoy goin through d sonnets too every read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are gorgeous, Andrea! Love your interpretation of his words. It's so colorful and each of them are fabulous! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  19. Andrea your pennants are absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful bright colours, wonderful backgrounds. I will check out the tutorial and try these. Thanks so much for the inspiration. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so pretty! I love the watercolor background.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW!! Once again, I'm blown away by this...it's just fabulous Andrea! There is so much work and detail in this banner and it's just a feast for the eyes! I absolutely love it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning banner! When I saw the individual pieces I was in love and then I realized it was a banner with a sonnet and I was was enthralled! Utterly charming and wow!

    ReplyDelete
  23. FAbolous work! I love everything in your banner! Colors are truly incredible! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  24. Unbelievable. What an incredible project. I am seriously in awe!! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOWSERS! I love your take on this challenge! Each little bit is such a work of art on it's own and it is complete perfection all together! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete