Sunday, May 17, 2015

My Other Creations: Flashcard Yarn Holders

When I learned that this week's theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog was "X, Y, Z," my mind went down a regrettable math path!  I suddenly remembered all those tear-filled "solve for X sessions" that were had around the kitchen table with me bawling my eyes out over the futility of it all while my truly wonderful father would try to make math problems seem like fun little mysteries to solve.  The man is a math genius (ditto with my bro).  Bless all the enthusiastic mathletes out there, but "fun" and "math" will never "equate" in my brain!  And so it was revenge time.  I found some vintage subtraction flashcards and chopped them up into something useful: yarn holders!


I started with these vintage subtraction flashcards (ironically, my math problems started early with never mastering subtraction), which I cut into file-folder shapes with the Penny Black "Tags &Toggles" die set.


You know I love my Dina Wakley paints, so I grabbed those and finger-painted some color onto my cards (highly therapeutic, by the way). 


I picked up my sponges and my Distress Inks and rubbed some on.  And yes, math was starting to be tolerable...barely.


I used Ranger Jet Black Archival ink and stamped on a bunch of random stamp images.


Last but not least, I whipped out the watercolors and filled in the rest of the card with colors.


Here's how they all turned out before I wrapped yarn around them:


I wrapped some yarn around these and secured it with some decorative paper clips that I've had in my stash forever.  Now I have a nice place for some of my favorite yarn and I finally feel like I've gotten revenge on math!

Here are the supplies I used that you can get at Simon Says Stamp:



"XYZ" is an interesting theme and I can't wait to see what you come up with!  Upload your creations to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog and you'll be entered to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!
http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

14 comments:

  1. Aww, what a fun idea! Love your art on flash cards, Andrea! creative way to be organized :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fabulously creative, Andrea ... you've turned something ordinary into something amazing ... vibrant, texture-y and so fun! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! 2X + Y = 333 were not my favorite either!!! Love what you did with these cards they are brilliant and so clever to hold your yarn scraps... I would need ahem quite a few of these sweet yarn holders for my collection of ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can literally feel the emotional angst you've directed towards those poor innocent-looking math flash cards ☺ and your pain was translated into such whimsical delights! It just goes to show that the best work comes from strong feelings. I felt the same way about math and you've stirred up memories I'd rather choose to forget. I'd been a really excellent student up to that point in eight grade when algebra was required, it was my first taste of failure (F's) and forever changed my attitude about computing. This must be the left/right brain phenomenon that many say exists. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if others visiting your post feel the same way too.

    I love the marriage of Dina's paint with the Distress inks and am insanely jealous over all the whimsical stamps in your collection. What great fun you must have had!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh.. the math challenge! Love the cheery palette for this fun take :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea and brilliant project! Love the beautiful colors :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great project Andrea and glad you were able to excorcise some of your math demons! My hubby can relate to your tale while I on the other hand am one of those geeks who loves solving those XYZ problems ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. The word "mathematics" scares me !! My mind is not suitable for math! In my brain work better the right side! ! Beautiful, a wonderful revenge! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous project Andrea and what a wonderful idea ~ you continually keep coming up with such original and fun creations which instantly make me want to run to the craft room and start creating and these are no exception because I just LOVE these wonderful little pieces of revenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea, what a great idea to alter these up and make them into something bright and cheerful! Hope that it felt good to take some revenge on those flashcards! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun idea!! Love that you used real vintage flash cards and transferred them into yarn holders. Gorgeous bright and happy colours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As soon as you mix numbers AND letters together, I freak. Now, if someone had thought to mix numbers and COLORS together....I would have had an interest. By combining two unlikely elements, you've created something so uniquely beautiful that it actually makes me like numbers! Bravo! I love this brilliant creation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow wow wow - what a rainbow of delights - a creative explosion - I love them.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely adore these!!! Gosh how I love how your mind works!!!!

    ReplyDelete