Sunday, May 31, 2015

My Other Creations: The Queen's Musings Notebook

The theme this week over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog is, "Let's Be Royal."  What a fantastic theme!  I decided to make a notebook which would be the perfect place for a queen to jot down her royal thoughts and ideas:


Isn't that girl stamp fabulous?  It's called, "Mona Lisa" by Penny Black, so apparently she's not royalty, but she looked like she could be to me!  I started by making the background for her using stamps, color sprays, ink smears and stencils.  When my background got too dark, I added some Gesso on top.  Next I stamped the girl onto light-colored paper and fussy-cut her out.  I added some pink chalk to her cheeks and colored her with ink and Spectrum Noir markers.  I drew and cut out a crown for her and added lots of die-cut shapes using the Moroccan Tile die from My Favorite Things and the Sizzix Mixed Media die set.  I used alphabet stamps for the sentiment.


I tried something new with this notebook and that was to create the pages out of 6x6 patterned paper that I hadn't used in other projects yet (you know when you buy the 6x6 paper pads and don't use every page?).  Since they were already a uniform size, they made quick and easy pages until I decided to round the corners of all of them.  My hand almost cramped up from all of that round-edge corner punching, but I liked how it turned out. 

Here's a peek at the inside:


This really was an inspiring theme and I was able to make good use of these products, which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:



Can't wait to see what you come up with for this week's challenge!  Upload your creations to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp Store!
http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

17 comments:

  1. Yeah! A fantastic idea for that drawer full of 6x6 half finished pads. I am loving your royal notebook and the image is super sweet! Beautiful cover with the layers of dies and pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your colouring and the interesting background you've place your queen on. Hope u enjoy filling your journal in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will admit I have a thing for 6x6 pads. I love the idea of binding them like this. That stamp is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow fantastic journal Andrea. I LOVE the way you used those 'odd pages' from paper sets for the pages. LOL about the paper corners being hard work. I managed to get a hand cramp when I was fussy cutting the other day! Thanks for the amazing comments you leave on my blog. They're always so inspiring and uplifting and deeply appreciated. Gorgeous journal. Hugs, Wends x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO fun, Andrea! I have to smile when I saw that sassy Mona Lisa - love her attitude! And what a great way to use up all those extra 6x6 sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderfully royal notebook, love your queenly stamp and beautiful textured cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Andrea, this is so fabulous! I love the rich color and textures! Thank you so, so much for leaving me such a sweet comment on my blog. (It brought tears to my eyes). Your kindness brightened my day!! (HUGS)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your notebook is so adorable! So much fun details, thank you for sharing your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving this whimsical notebook! It's so you! :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like what you did with that mixed media die and what a great color combo. You are also a master typesetter and the whimsical font looks perfect on your creations. It's pure genius how you know just the right words to use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your beautiful notebook, Andrea. The colors and texture are fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful Andrea! Love the fun cover. What a great idea for the 6 x 6 papers. I have so many of those...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything about this is just so much fun! As always, your colour palette is stunning and I love the combination of products that you've used to create this beautiful notebook! I also think that I might NEED that stamp, so thank you for sharing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous notebook, Andrea! Love the mona lisa stamp! And what a fantastic idea to use up those left over sheets of the 6x6 paper pads! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally Delightful and yes using up the pages is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andrea....another fabulous project from that fantastic creative mind of yours!! Your cover for this sweet journal is right up my alley with the colors you used. I could just eat them up!! Love the soft pastel yet bright colors that seem to be the signature of a lot of your fabulous pieces. Your multiple die cuts really work! I love how you have laid them out. Your Mona Lisa truly is such a perfect "Queen" for this cover! The addition of her criwn certainly gives her that whimsical regal quality. I just adore your creative stule. This is such a great idea and way to use up some of those 6x6 paper pads we ALL probably have lying around! Oh....and...the rounded corners were SO WORTH the cramping fingers!!!

    ReplyDelete