Sunday, July 26, 2015

Tutorials: Paper Coin Purse

I've been wanting to experiment with "plasticizing paper" for quite some time, so this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, which is, "Not Your Regular Paper," was the perfect kick in the pants I needed.  So I made a coin purse out of a vintage book page which I decorated and plasticized.  HUGE DISCLAIMER!  Most of the tutorial that follows is a lesson in what not to do! 


I've been wanting to make paper into some sort of sturdy form that you could sew into coin purses, for example, so I ended up trying three different methods: silicone, transparent contact paper and laminating paper.  

To start with, I stamped images onto my book page with Ranger Jet Black Archival ink.


Next, I got out my stencils, paints and inks and decorated my page.


SILICONE: It was at this point that I tried to plasticize my paper.  I'd seen an online reference about using silicone on paper, so I bought a tube of clear silicone at the hardware store, squirted it onto my paper, squeegied it around and let it dry.  This method did not work out very well for me.  For starters, I hate working with products with strong noxious odors and I definitely had to whip out the face mask for this one.  Next, it took a long time to fully dry (a couple of days), and even after it did, the surface of the paper still felt...not exactly tacky...but skiddy?  Like if you rubbed a cloth against it, the surface would pick up all the lint.  It wasn't smooth and had some grip to it that would not work well for a coin purse.  I also didn't think the finished product would be sturdy enough to hold up for long.  Maybe I just didn't do the process correctly since the online reference didn't give many details, but silicone was a no-go for me.

TRANSPARENT CONTACT PAPER: Trying to salvage my book page, I decided to try contact paper next, which I got at Walmart and which is pictured below.


I covered my book page with this, both on the front and on the back.  Then I cut the pieces to size and laid them out flat with the zipper in the middle.  I sewed my zipper in place, then folded the two halves together and sewed around the edges to finish it off.  I didn't turn it out or anything; just left the stitching exposed on the outside.  Please note that I am NOT a seamstress and I like wonky stitching.  This was never meant to look pro if there are sewing experts out there scoffing!


Here's how it turned out (view of the back).


Problems with contact paper: even though I bought the kind that said "permanent," you can see if you look closely enough that the contact paper was peeling up a bit on the edges.  This got worse after the purse was made and after I'd taken pictures for this post.  The whole coin purse now is a wrinkle fest.  In contact paper's defense, this could be because I was trying to stick it to the book page that I'd already coated in silicone, but I tried it on a sample piece that didn't have silicone and it still separated from the book page because of its lack of stickiness.  In addition, my book page turned brown-ish once I'd covered it, but I don't know if that was a result of the silicone, the age of the book page, or the contact paper.  Lastly, since the contact paper came on a roll, it was kind of tricky to get it flattened out long enough to cover my book page.

Second attempt!  My husband told me I should try some laminating paper, which I'd never heard of.  This is not a heat-type of laminating paper, but is adhesive and is pictured below:


LAMINATING PAPER: I found this on Amazon (good old Amazon).  Here's how coin purse #2 turned out using the laminating paper:


The laminating paper was very easy to use because it comes in flat sheets and it also was a little lighter-weight than the contact paper, which I thought was a plus.  It stuck much better to my book page and so far, it hasn't bubbled up or wrinkled.


Summary?  To plasticize paper, I found silicone to be too fragile and weird-feeling after it dried, contact paper to not stay stuck down very well, and adhesive laminating paper to be just right!

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial and will learn from my mistakes.  In the meantime, you can pick up these other supplies I used from Simon Says Stamp:




I'm interested to see what all of your clever minds come up with for this week's theme!  Upload your creations to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!


http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

24 comments:

  1. Way to go sprucing up those book pages, Andrea ... so creative and colourful ... and so worth all that effort! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So creative Andrea. How awesome to use your art work on a purse. I wanted to do something similar, so last week I made paper fabric, mod podged the paper onto plain canvas. I like ur idea better as it waterproofs the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golly - thank you for sharing your trials and tribulations - I didn't know there was such a thing as laminating paper either - off to see whether you can get it in the UK too. I love the fresh colours and delightful images on your book page, and what a fabulous quirky coin purse you've ended up with. Great post, thank you.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Andrea your idea of turning your art into a coin purse is exciting! Thank you for the great tutorial on the process, it is really helpful to know what doesn't work and what does! The second material that you have used is it like the soft plastic sticky roll that we usually use to cover school books in order to keep them protected from dirt and from tearing apart or is it something different? Thank you again for the great idea and for sharing the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome and yes! I do believe that is exactly what I used. It came on a big roll and I found it in the kitchen section of Walmart. I know that a lot of people use it to line drawers or cupboard shelves with. There was a temporary kind and a permanent kind, so people probably have used it to cover books.

      Delete
  5. You always think not only OUTSIDE the box, but over it, under it, beside it and through it!
    I so appreciate that you gave us the steps in finding the best "coat" for the paper, AND let us know that after a while that wasn't so great either. You are a teacher. I love the old-timey workbook page. This project was so clever. Everything about this purse speaks YOU. I also like it when you share how your husband interjects his ideas. My husband does the same. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had to come over after seeing your project on Simon Says. Super cute and creative and the info is invaluable! Thanks so much for sharing. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your finished coin purse Andrea and very informative tutorial, I've never heard of the laminating paper either but the results are great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable coin purse! Love the retro imagery and bright color choice!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sound like the three little bears! I love this! What a great journey through what works and what doesn't - thanks for figuring that out for all of us!! :) It is wonderful how you kept experimenting and did not give up until you found the right solution, and the coin purse is so cute!!! Rock on sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the coin purse is such an original idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool idea, Andrea! Love that you've tried it with 2 kinds of products! The laminator sheets are so cool! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore your tut! Your work is so beautiful, colorful and always original ! Great inspiration! You make me smile when you talk about your experiments! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your coin purse! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your coin purse! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your coin purse! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such an awesome project! I love the cute book pages you used and how you stamped and colored on them to make them your own! LOVE this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so creative, Andrea. Always love the color scheme you create. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all just love this coin purse!!! the color and vintage paper are all brilliant. Now onto your fabulous trials.. Great information and ideas... I was thinking of resin paper. Do you think using the resin on this would have made it sturdy enough? I never thought of the strength of resin paper. But I definitely want a Andrea change purse!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE your coin purse Andrea and what a great idea as always! Thank you for sharing all your tries, I am glad you could make it work in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Andrea, what can I say about your coin purse that I haven't said before?!? This is wonderful and your work is just so creative, so original and so fabulous and I LOVE it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is my favorite! I know we aren't supposed to have favorites...but I do and this is it! If this was a movie review, you'd be getting 5 stars.
    You're never going to believe this...I've been wanting to try this too!
    But I have always been too chicken to try it. And sewing machines send my anxiety levels through the roof. So huge thanks for sharing all of the details.
    I LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your coin purse! Thanks for the pros and cons of the different products and methods!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing. I have been wanting to plasticize paper for sewing similar projects. I tried to iron on product but it was too pricey and time consuming.

    ReplyDelete