Sunday, September 6, 2015

Tutorials: House Embroidery Floss Holders

http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
Today marks another fantastic theme for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!  The theme is Stamp and Punch, which leaves the field wide open for any projects involving punching/cutting and stamping.  In my ongoing efforts to be organized and snazzy at the same time, I decided to make some decorative embroidery floss holders:


I started by cutting out the house shapes with Tim Holtz's Artful Dwellings die.  I used the Big Shot and cut the shapes out of both chipboard and patterned paper.


I glued the patterned paper to the chipboard, then I needed a "blank space" on top of the patterned paper to be able to stamp on.  So I smudged on some white Gesso to cover up sections of the patterned paper.


When the Gesso dried, I stamped on some circles and black text (SSS Scribble flowers stamp  set and Avery Elle's Write It stamps) using Ranger Jet Black Archival ink.  I also smudged on some color using Distress Inks on sponges.


I outlined the houses with a black Sharpie to give them some definition.  Last but not least, I cut a small horizontal notch in the side of each house so I could wrap embroidery floss around it and tuck the end into the notch to keep it secure.  I also stamped and cut out numbers (SSS Game Tiles stamp set), which I added to the houses.  The numbers correspond to the embroidery floss number.  I also glued on little pieces of accent fabric to each house for a final touch.


I enjoyed this project and love the sturdiness of the chipboard.  Altful Dwellings has been a favorite die of mine for quite awhile and I'm always looking to incorporate houses when I can! 

Here are the supplies I used that you can find at Simon Says Stamp:




This theme is so versatile and I can't wait to see what you come up with.  Upload your creations to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!
http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/


26 comments:

  1. Love, love, love these... what an inspired idea for wool, yarn, thread, ribbon storage. And how fun and funky and joyous your tiny houses are. I just love visiting here, I always go away inspired and, more importantly, uplifted by your creativity, colours and spontaneity.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous yarn holders Andrea!! I LOVE these and the step by step photo's are fabulous, I need to make some of these too :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome floss holders! Your stamping on the DP is so perfect with the blended colors to tie into the background colors....it ends us looking like it was printed that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous and beautiful idea to hold embroidery floss! Love the stamping and ink colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your houses♥ I have been fascinated with houses used in mixed media! I pinned your houses which took me to a site with so many fabulous houses♥ Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snazzy organization, words to live by! These are just fabulous Andrea, what a beautiful way to store your floss and so smart to add the lot numbers to each of your delightful little houses! Thanks so much for sharing these, you are so inventive! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! I love your happy colors and designs and these beautiful floss houses are just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word--super creative project! These are so artistic & beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a clever way to stay "snazzy" and organized! I love it, Andrea!!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a creative way to store embroidery floss! Decorative and functional!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your houses are a unique and clever way to store embroidery floss. The houses are fun and funky, too :). Thank yo for leaving such a sweet and thoughtful comment on my blog. You brightened my day. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. your houses are fantastic and I love the idea of the number to remember the floss reference

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your colourful little houses, and what a lovely way to store embroidery floss.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your little houses are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Think your new nickname should be multiplicity-momma after the last few Monday blog postings. Inspired today by your use of a small amount of paint over the printed paper to muddle the background a bit before stamping. Such a simple step but so very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your beautiful project! Andrea. The colors are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute, creative, idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your little houses, your projects are always amazing! great idea! barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so cute! And so very useful! You're a creative organisation master mind! I wish I could take a look in your craft room! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE these tags! You left a question on my blog here : http://elliecreahoekje.blogspot.nl/2015/04/the-question-is-beeswax-or-not.html
    asking about the butterfly - it's from the paper napkin.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant idea! Clever AND creative!


    I've been out of town for a week, but I should be home early next week. Watch for an email then. We've got a lot to catch up on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Once again, such a clever and unique idea ~ these are brilliant and I absolutely adore them, Andrea! Wonderful project from a wonderful creative mind... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so cool! What a great idea. Your houses are so cute and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I adore these darling little houses and love how you made them into holders for your floss! Yay again for another awesome Andrea idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such fun houses Andrea! Love the colours and text. Artful Dwellings is one of my favourite dies too.

    ReplyDelete