Monday, August 15, 2016

Tutorials: Reading Journal Using the Pinkfresh Bibliophile Stamp Set

This week's theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge is "Summer Fun."  In case you don't know yet how nerdy I am, let me confirm it with this post!  One of my favorite parts of summer has always been reading!  When I was in school growing up, summer meant the freedom to read whatever I wanted instead of what was assigned in school.  As an adult, there's nothing better than having a good book along on a road trip or vacation.  And since I can't remember everything I read, I decided to make a Reading Journal to record and rate the books I read.


http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
I wanted to try and make this out of an already-existing notebook, so here's how I did it.  I started out with a notebook and the Pinkfresh Bibliophile stamp set.


I tore out one of the inner pages and traced it onto a piece of thick white paper that I wanted to use for the cover. 


I glued the white paper onto a thick piece of chipboard, then used my Crop-A-Dile to punch out the holes.  Using my fingers, I smeared acrylic paint in streaks and smudges onto my cover.


While the paint dried, I stamped the book info/rating stamp (also from the Bibliophile stamp set) onto every single page.  Yep.  Every.  Single.  Page.  Monotony factor?  About 715.


Back to the cover!  I used one of my favorite go-to Tim Holtz dies, Trellis, to create a pattern in the background.  I smeared on some Distress Ink to add color pops here and there and the Trellis framework was cut out of Simon Says Stamp dictionary paper.


I created the central image by cutting a hole in a library due-date card (thanks, Mimi!!) and I added a Seth Apter Ring Around die ring around it.  I also stamped a faux-stitched black circle inside using Simon's Sparkle and Shine stamp set.  I added a circle of color back to the middle and threw in another circle embellishment from Simon's Loop die set.  I completed it with the "Carpe Librum" sentiment, also stamped with the Bibliophile set.


You know I love me some bright colors, but I was feeling like this had too much of a Christmas vibe, so I toned the whole thing down by smearing white paint over a lot of the high-color areas.


And last but not least.  How to attach the cover to an already-bound notebook?  I cut horizontal snips from the edge of the cover to each hole, then simply maneuvered it back through the spiral binding.  This is an inside view (I covered the back of the chipboard with patterned paper- the cover I made is on the other side).


Just to make extra sure that the cover would stay in place, I dabbed glue along the horizontal snips where I'd cut.  Once the glue dried, it was quite secure.  You could also just glue the whole thing on top of the existing cover, which would've been a great idea, but since the notebook I'd bought had a plastic cover, I wasn't sure how well the glue would work.  But my method filled the bill and I think the end product is solid!

For all you visual learners out there, here's a pic that shows where I used which products:


 And here are the links to the products I used that you can find at Simon Says Stamp:


I'm excited to see what you do for summer fun!  Be sure to upload your projects to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp Store.
https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/
https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

24 comments:

  1. Fabulous notebook Andrea!! and what a brilliant idea, I read a lot, and especially as I now use a kindle I don't see the cover, so I forget the titles and authors :-/ The colours and whole design of this is gorgeous :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, I AM amazed by the way you work your colors out! I always love the tone you are able to achieve! Fantabolous project!!! I now need to take out my notebooks and make some covers!!!
    Hugs xx
    Zoey

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, my friend are brilliant! I have thought of doing this (because sometimes I forget I already read the book) to keep track of my voracious reading - love it like you! You make me laugh with your monotony factor!! That's where having minions would be handy. I love your little book, the colors, design...oh yes, all of it! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous notebook, Andrea! Love how you made the background!


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Andrea, another notebook!!! I love it!! I wish I had your collection of notebooks. Each one is simply fabulous. This one has so many details and how cool is it to have a notebook to catalog all the books you've read. What a wonderful idea! Awesome!!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is freakin' awesome!!!! I had the same sense of "freedom" duing the summer as a kid. I loved being able to read any book I wanted to. I went to the public library every week during the summer. Sigh. Such good memories. And this project just brings it all back. That cover ... Wow! Love the colors (both vivid and toned down versions) and the stamping ...to die for. Seriously fun idea to keep track of what you read. Brilliant make. Thanks for dropping by my blog. You made my weekend!! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy! Loovvvveee it! But I swear, woman: I love everything you do with paper. I appreciate all of the layers while maintaining a low profile. And I think I need to get a PO through the school for that Pinkfresh stamp set! Excellent project, home girl. (Btw, your nerd-factor ascended with the diagram laying out which product is where-- a graphic I appreciate as a nerd of the science variety!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the Queen of Mixed Media, Upcycling, Altered Notebooks....well the list goes on and on. This is beautiful and your colors (as always) are AHmazing! I hardly read at all....on vacation I can devour several books though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Andrea....I wanted to thank you so much for your special comments you left on my blog. So glad that you enjoyed viewing and found inspiration. Love love love your tutorials and that enjoyed viewing your altered and mixed media creations... Happy day and hope your getting messy with the paint today ! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Andrea....I wanted to thank you so much for your special comments you left on my blog. So glad that you enjoyed viewing and found inspiration. Love love love your tutorials and that enjoyed viewing your altered and mixed media creations... Happy day and hope your getting messy with the paint today ! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous! This is such a clever idea ! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  12. a little good mood book. very nice

    ReplyDelete
  13. amazing transformation of a simple notebook and what a great idea to keep track of your book reading...have a great weekend...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your beautiful creation, Andrea. The layers of embellishments are fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really a cool idea! Your notebook is fantastic, love love love the way you used Seth's die and Circle loops by Simon! beautiful transormation, as always an amazing work! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andrea this is awesome! First - what a great idea of the reading journal! Second - the colors you received with smearing the whole thing with white pint are fabulous! I just love this soft and girly look. I also often do that when the colors turn out too strong and I love the results given by white paint over them. I love all the details and colors and stamps on this journal. That was really inspiring. Thanks! Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always love how you transform the every day item into something spectacular and this is fabulous, Andrea! The blend of colours are beautiful and the project is one of a kind and is definitely going to stand out on your desk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I SO love this project Andrea!! And I absolutely have to get that stamp set, it is perfect for me. Like you, I am a total book nerd too. I have notebooks like this from when I started reading, rating books, writing little summaries, page numbers, author etc, and numbering all of them. Stunning colours and design!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just fabulous! Love that you were able to work on it and then insert. Gorgeous collage. <3 Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful project. Love the colors and all of the fabulous detail on the cover. This would be a great idea for kids to keep track of their summer reading too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What a great idea! I think a traveling journal to write things down about ones trip while on vacation would be another good application for this great idea! Really learn a lot from your detailed instructions. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an amazing idea, Andrea! I'm not much of a book person, but this idea will also work for movies which I love ! Gorgeous cover, I love the colors and the layering you do! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am a book fiend also, so I just got this stamp set ordered and am going to make this. Thanks for the inspiration. I can sometimes not remember if I have read a particular book, or what I thought of it, so I believe I need to do this, for my sanity's sake.

    ReplyDelete