I wanted to try and make this out of an already-existing notebook, so here's how I did it. I started out with a notebook and the Pinkfresh Bibliophile stamp set.
I tore out one of the inner pages and traced it onto a piece of thick white paper that I wanted to use for the cover.
I glued the white paper onto a thick piece of chipboard, then used my Crop-A-Dile to punch out the holes. Using my fingers, I smeared acrylic paint in streaks and smudges onto my cover.
While the paint dried, I stamped the book info/rating stamp (also from the Bibliophile stamp set) onto every single page. Yep. Every. Single. Page. Monotony factor? About 715.
Back to the cover! I used one of my favorite go-to Tim Holtz dies, Trellis, to create a pattern in the background. I smeared on some Distress Ink to add color pops here and there and the Trellis framework was cut out of Simon Says Stamp dictionary paper.
I created the central image by cutting a hole in a library due-date card (thanks, Mimi!!) and I added a Seth Apter Ring Around die ring around it. I also stamped a faux-stitched black circle inside using Simon's Sparkle and Shine stamp set. I added a circle of color back to the middle and threw in another circle embellishment from Simon's Loop die set. I completed it with the "Carpe Librum" sentiment, also stamped with the Bibliophile set.
You know I love me some bright colors, but I was feeling like this had too much of a Christmas vibe, so I toned the whole thing down by smearing white paint over a lot of the high-color areas.
And last but not least. How to attach the cover to an already-bound notebook? I cut horizontal snips from the edge of the cover to each hole, then simply maneuvered it back through the spiral binding. This is an inside view (I covered the back of the chipboard with patterned paper- the cover I made is on the other side).
Just to make extra sure that the cover would stay in place, I dabbed glue along the horizontal snips where I'd cut. Once the glue dried, it was quite secure. You could also just glue the whole thing on top of the existing cover, which would've been a great idea, but since the notebook I'd bought had a plastic cover, I wasn't sure how well the glue would work. But my method filled the bill and I think the end product is solid!
For all you visual learners out there, here's a pic that shows where I used which products:
And here are the links to the products I used that you can find at Simon Says Stamp:
I'm excited to see what you do for summer fun! Be sure to upload your projects to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp Store.