Sunday, November 24, 2013

My Other Creations: Christmas Spirit Countdown

I've got hot chocolate in my mug, Michael Buble's Christmas album playing and a pine- tree-scented candle burning.  Instant Christmas, yes??  Well...hopefully!  Unfortunately, it isn't always so easy to create that peaceful loving Christmas vibe.  I get lost in the rush and stress of the season instead of focusing on what this holiday is really all about.  And so when this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge theme was to create something countdown-related, I decided to go for a Christmas Spirit Countdown project!



Instead of counting days, I wanted to count different ways that I could get into the Christmas mood.  So I made a wooden house, covered it with paper, glued on a wooden clip and used it as a background to hold up different suggestions of what I can do if I'm not feeling "Christmas-y."

Here is a picture of the house with Idea #4 attached:


And here's a close-up of some of the other ideas that I'll swap in and out:


There are so many ways that we can reach out and spread the true spirit of the season and I hope that my little countdown idea calendar will remind me to focus and not get sidetracked by the glitz and glam that doesn't really matter.  Other ideas that I will add to my countdown include: Read Luke 2, donate to the food bank, participate in Sub for Santa or other charitable programs, watch "Elf," spend time with loved ones, keep my eyes open for ways to help, be positive and be grateful.

I LOVE this time of year and I enjoyed making this project.  Here are some of the supplies I used that you can get at Simon Says Stamp:




Now I just KNOW that you've got all sorts of clever countdown ideas yourself.  Why not share them with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog and be entered to win a little gift for yourself ($50!!  Yippee!) 50dollar_voucher_600px

16 comments:

  1. This is charming! I love the retro Christmas feel. The idea of a countdown of holiday activities is perfect. My youngest would always make a list of things she wanted to do over winter break and this is a great way to capture that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea...I totally LOVE your idea here. It is your definite style and I love that as well! Andrea, your blog write up is so good! You definitely have a way with words and your idea of creating this precious little house to remind you of what this season SHOULD be all about is a great idea! Each one of your little ideas are so sweet...and I totally LOVE the way you've embellished each one on it's own little mini folder. You always have such creative, fun pieces. Andrea, I am such a huge fan of your work. It's so unmistakably YOU! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!!! Once again, you are blowing me away! Your blog and your work has turned into one of my most favorite stops in cyber-land. You are constantly thinking outside the box and coming up with the most gorgeously inventive projects! I love everything about it and had to pin it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is so adorable Andrea! What a great idea! Love all the distressing and fabric accents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a sweet and fabulous holiday project, Andrea. All the details are just so lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrea what a truly wonderful idea, the true meaning of Christmas. I love the house and your idea to clip little notes to the house to remind you about the true meaning of Christmas. I love how you constantly think outside the box. You are so talented . Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh Andrea, what a great idea! And such good suggestions! Love the bright colors and your beautiful own style you gave it! It's perfect! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this idea, Andrea!! I think we all could use a dash more of Christmas spirit! This great project would definitely do the trick for me :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea, you are so clever! I have troubles getting into the holiday spirit sometimes too and your sweet little house is an adorable idea! I couldn't pick my favorite. They're all so sweet. And I love the little clothespins. It's all so cute! I'm gushing. Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This project is AMAZING! I love all the cute embellies, and your "reminders" are all perfect for getting into the Christmas spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a brilliant idea - ways to feel Christmassy... I quite often need those. And it looks as though I won't get my dose of carol concert rehearsals this year, which is my main countdown, so I may have to borrow some of these ideas! It's also a beautiful project - I love the colours and the fresh, spontaneous feel of the whole thing - a delight!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your originality strikes me every time I stop on your blog! I love this project and the colors that you've used, definitely not usual for Christmas! fantastic! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrea, this is a wonderful idea. There will be no holiday blues with this in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another wonderful idea Andrea! Love that each day has an activity that will increase the Christmas spirit, and all the cards are so happy and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the whimsical feel of your Advent calendar. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andrea~I LOVE this set you have made! The paper colors are fabulous together!! I truly meant to stop by a couple of times earlier than today to let you know...kind of like back when the Simon Monday challenge for this was first posted :0) I get great inspiration from you all at the SMC....one of my favorite places to play. Even if I don't get the chance to play or comment...I do always visit!! I love all the textures and layers of your pieces!! Hope you have a fabulous day!!
    Hugs
    Heather

    ReplyDelete