Sunday, February 23, 2014

My Cards and Tags: The Grand Explorer

PASTE!  Does that word conjure images of elementary school and that kid you sat by who would lick the paste jar from time to time?  Hopefully not!  But it is this week's theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog.   And so I decided to go with modeling paste through stencils, which I then heat embossed with silver powder to give the backdrop of my project some 3D metallic rays.  And here he is: the man I call The Grand Explorer:



Let's start with those paste-rays.  I used modeling paste and brushed it heavily on top of Tim Holtz's "Rays" stencil.  I peeled the stencil off and saw that the paste was white...too white!  So I waited for it to dry, then I used a makeup sponge to apply clear embossing ink to the rays.  Then I shook on some silver embossing powder, like so:



I adore silver embossing powder because once you heat it up, it turns into gorgeous shimmery silver.  Once I had my metallic rays, I dabbed on some ink to color them teal, green and brown around all the silver parts.  With my backdrop ready, I built my scene on top.

The image of the winged man is from Tim Holtz's "Winged Things II" stamp set.  I stamped him on an old encyclopedia page and colored him with chalk and inks.  I also gave him an "Explore" flag.  I attached him with 3D dots to give him a little more dimension.



I made him a traveling cart out of an alarm clock image covered with tickets and other travel ephemera.  The wheels are made from some vintage buttons I had and I added some Prima flowers, too.



I finished off the top by stamping on some text (from Tim Holtz's Urban Grunge stamp set) and adding a row of pennant flags made from the Simon Says Stamp banner die.  I also tied on some fibers, yarn and ribbon from my overabundant stash.


After all of that, I'd say this guy is definitely ready to hit the road.  His adventurous life was made possible due in large part to these products, which you can get from Simon Says Stamp:




So are you feeling the love of paste this week?  I hope so!  I love to see your creations on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog.  Upload your masterpieces and you could win $50 to the Simon Says Stamp store.  That would buy an awful lot of paste!

50dollar_voucher_600px

15 comments:

  1. Fantastic tag Andrea! Love the textured rays peeking out from behind all the vintage goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smashing tag and you have used really neat embellishments on it. Bravo!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh Andrea ! What a great tag ! Love that you've used embossing powder on top of the paste! Love the cheerful grunginess (yes I think it's a word)! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. This tag is so beautiful, Andrea. I love the layers of embellishments and the pretty textures and colors on the background, Wonderful design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun tag! I just love that background and the rays stencil :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cool tag with all that layered ephemera and the rays look amazing!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this tag, Andrea and I adore all your layers of embellishments, against that beautiful textural background of rays!! Fabulous... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the look of the embossing powder on the paste!
    I almost tried that myself....but then I chickened out. Now that I see your example, I'll give it a go the next time. :) I love how you captured his whimsical and adventurous character. Adorable!

    BTW....When I first heard of the "Paste" challenge, I DID think of that kid that ate the paste! Really, I did! Funny, because when I recall him eating it, I didn't think it was weird at the time. I actually had a weird 6-yr. old admiration for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tag is absolutely incredible! Love this stamp, love the colors you've used ! Stunning work!BARbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea, I always think that true art is found in the details and you have not missed any detail in this project. I thoroughly enjoyed traveling through your creative process, layer by layer and piece by piece. It was pure brilliance to stamp your image onto an old encyclopedia page. This is a lovely little work of art.
    Blessing hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so ready to go along for the ride with your fabulous adventurer! Love how you have fitted him out and the beautiful shimmery rays in the background. Sweet vehicle with all his admission tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Andrea , love your grand explorer! who sits proudly on your tag and works fabulously set against the metal like rays. Love all the layers of tickets too. I always love your take on the challenges. Enjoy your week. Thanks so much for your uplifting comments on my blog x x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous tag, Andrea. Love all of the layers! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is one cool tag! Love how you applied the silver embossing powder only to part of the rays and colored the rest! I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. those rays are fantastic!!! I love everything about this :)

    ReplyDelete