Friday, August 22, 2014

Product Reviews: Memento Ink

I've been in the habit of using Tim Holtz Distress Ink for a long time and I do confess to loving it.  But that doesn't mean there aren't great alternatives out there, too.  I recently had a chance to experiment with Memento Ink (another dye-based ink) and wanted to see if it behaved in a similar manner to Distress Ink.  So I tried out two of my favorite Distress Ink techniques with Memento Ink to create this little "life lesson" tag:



Both Distress Ink and Memento Ink pads are smooth and firm, not spongy.  The first technique I tried with Memento Ink was to stamp the pad onto my craft mat, spritz the ink with water, then mop it up with a couple of tags to create a speckled effect.  I do this technique with Distress Ink all the time.  So how did Memento Ink do?  I used the shade called Teal Zeal and as you can see, it beaded up nicely when I spritzed it with water and was bursting with deep juicy color. 



I dragged two tags through it and really liked the splotchy look I achieved, which was pretty much the same as the look I get with Distress Ink.



My second favorite Distress Ink technique is smudging ink onto my projects with sponges.  I got out my sponges and Memento Ink in shades of Pear Tart, Pistachio, Lulu Lavender, Elderberry and Paris Dusk.  Here's how my tag looked after some smudging fun:



In terms of Memento Ink's smudgability, I was very pleased!  It blended nicely and gave me the type of shadowy weathered look I wanted.  I proceeded to use Memento Ink to stamp on some pattern using the Honeycomb Texture stamp from 100 Proof Press.  Once I had my background done, I finished the tag with this great villain stamp image, called Evil Man, also from 100 Proof Press.  I heat embossed it in black and then added the white scribbly circle around my villain's head using acrylic paint.



I added a touch of pink Memento Ink (Rose Bud) to lighten it up just a bit and then hit the edges with black Gesso.  Once it dried, I sewed some Prima flowers to the side.  At the top, I used alphabet stamps to make my sentiment and topped it with a Hero Arts flower and some yarn.



Another thing that I really liked about Memento Ink is its packaging.  The ink pads are labelled so conveniently and the lids fit very well.  You can almost feel a slight bit of "suction" when you put the lids back on so you know that your ink is going to be protected from drying out.


So how would I rate my Memento Ink experience?  High marks for ease of use, brilliant bold colors and stamping versatility.  I absolutely look forward to using Memento Ink again and think it's a fantastic product.  It's a great alternative to Distress Ink and it was good for me to get out of my rut and see what other amazing products are out there.

6 comments:

  1. I use the Memento Inks all the time and absolutely LOVE them!!! Glad that you love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun tag this is Andrea... I love your colors... and the villain... wow... scary plus... LOL... The inks... you might laugh at this one... but I bought all the little tea drops, and the larger ones, and slowly but surely my daughter took them all.. I do have the markers though... LOL.. just noticed it the other day when I went to see what condition mine were in... LOL.. oh well.. so much for that... I love this bright and BOLD tag... nice also to get out of ruts... I am in need of doing that too... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you tag! Your creation made me down right laugh out loud and then some!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an amazing tag, Andrea ... fabulous colours and so much interest and texture ... and so fun! Great review of Memento inks ... I use them a lot and love them too! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know! I've been experiencing an ink rut, myself. I love what you did with those inks. Such beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this. I do like memento. Will have to experiment

    ReplyDelete