Saturday, October 4, 2014

My Cards and Tags: "Feeling Brilliant" Notions Tag

Hello loyal readers!  I just wanted to share a notions tag that I made that includes some faux buttons.  The fabulous button card stamp I used is called Mode De Paris Buttons and is from 100 Proof Press.  Here's how the tag turned out, followed by a step-by-step of how I made my faux buttons.

I started by stamping the button card image (using Ranger Jet Black Archival ink) onto a neutral-ish piece of paper from Kaiser's Kaleidoscope collection.  I folded it and tore it a bit and inked it up with Distress Ink (Walnut Stain and Black Soot).  I also stamped on some background text using 100 Proof Press's Profit and Loss stamp.  I smudged on some Peacock Feathers Distress ink because I seem to be humanly incapable of NOT smudging that gorgeous ink on everything!

Next I gathered up some paper scraps and stamped the buttons onto them.

I punched out the buttons using a circle punch from Recollections (available at Michaels) that was the perfect size: 5/8".

I added a smidge of various colors of Distress Ink to each button, then stuck each one to a 3D pop dot for some dimension. I folded down the circular edges of the button around the pop dot, then attached them to the button card.


To make the buttons look more button-y (totally not a word), I covered each one with a drop or two of Glossy Accents and let them dry overnight.

All that was left to do was to figure out a background for my button card.  I grabbed my Tim Holtz/Sizzix Framelits Tag die set and some patterned paper from My Mind's Eye and cut out a tag with my Big Shot.  I glued fabric scraps to the background, added my button card and a piece of vintage tape measure to the bottom.

I finished it off by adding some stick pins (Maya Road and Darice) and the sentiment.  I used alphabet stamps for the "feeling" word and the "Brilliant" stamp is another great one from 100 Proof Press.  I tore up some fabric strips for the tag's ties at the top and it was done!  I quite enjoyed this project and felt just a bit brilliant myself when my husband said (and I quote) that it was "cool."