Sunday, August 2, 2015

My Other Creations: Generic Planner Re-do

I'm lovin' this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog theme, which is, "Make A Plan."  I have to admit that I am not the type of person who carries a planner around (where would it fit with all the library books and snacks I keep in my purse?) but thoroughly enjoy seeing all of those clever planner pages out there!  Since I didn't have a fancy planner, I decided to give a generic planner a makeover.


I picked up a cheapy planner at Walmart, which started out like this:


I wanted to give it a new cover and some dividers, then re-bind it with my Cinch machine.  So the first step was to cut off the binding, which I did with some needle-nose pliers and some wire cutters.


Maybe I had some inner stress that I didn't know about, but it was actually kind of therapeutic to destroy the wire binding.


I took the unbound pages to my paper cutter and cut off all the holes.


With the pages ready to be re-bound, I started making the cover.  I chose a piece of Prima Garden Fable paper and stamped some images on it using Ranger Black Archival ink.


I whipped out the watercolors and painted inside the shapes, then drizzled more watercolors around the shapes.


I punched out some colored dots, outlined them with Sharpie, and curled some Prima Wire Thread into circles.  I added a piece of yarn here and there, too.  I glued them on and added some week days that I cut out of a piece of patterned paper. 


I drew a girl and fussy-cut her out and glued her on, then added the "Go and Do" sentiment which was cut with Tim Holtz's Block Talk lowercase alphabet.  I stamped on some dates and glued the whole picture to a piece of chipboard that was the size of my planner cover.


The last step was to use the Cinch machine and a Cinch coiled wire to bind the whole thing back together again.  I made tabs out of patterned paper, a Prima flower and Project Life cards.


I plan on leaving this planner in my craft room and using it not only to write what I need to do, but also to record what I have done.  I try to embrace the mantra of "Go and Do" because I have a tendency to sit and dream instead.  Dreaming is so important, but action is a critical part of the formula, too, and one that I can improve on. 

I had a lot of fun creating my planner and these are the fabulous supplies I used from Simon Says Stamp to make it:


I'm excited to see what you come up with for this week's, "Make a Plan" theme.  Upload your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store.
http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful whimsy! She is so charming ruling her planner! My favorite is the bits of thread circles and of course the glorious colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOUR PLANNER IS SO INSPIRING!!! I am going to try to find one and do one like you! Thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this! The colors are just yummy, and the design is so fun! I love to alter planners - I always used to do this with my teacher planner every year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to come over from SSS to see the process and tell you how much I admire the planner! Would love to see the inside as you use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea, I just love your bright and cheery palette. It makes me smile!:)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea to make a regular planner over into something so pretty! Love the cover! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea, that is fabulous! Love your cover, adding the days and all that lovely dimension, and your sentiment is perfect for a planner. Plans and dreams are wonderful but you got to get 'er done! Thanks so much for sharing this, I'll never look at a generic store bought planner the same ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally identify with the dreaming aspect of crafting and I also need to Go abd DO! Love your cover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cute images and beautiful colors on this cover. The wire and yarn circles are so fun and lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea, this is absolutely fabulous! I totally adore your cover and love all the details you've added, they're just so much fun and the colour palette is perfect ~ this really does make me smile wide! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is stunning Andrea! I love all those circles and the fun colours and images. And of course that great text.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know why, but that cinch-thing scares the crap out of me.So needless to say, I'm impressed. I love the stamps you chose for the cover. They are some of my favorites. I hadn't thought of putting them together. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your style, the go and do made me giggle. I'm such a dreamer too, my planner is full of sketches and projects that Ive mostly completed in my head! Like you I shud now right about what's done :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love this fantastic project, Andrea. Every detail is superb, that girl is totally enchanting. Great inspiration. Now, I have to do it!, better, re-do it, as my first attempt to make my own planner was a failure. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete