Saturday, April 26, 2014

Tutorials: Using Watercolors with Embossing Folders

Maybe it's because it's raining a million billion buckets today, but my mind has been on water!  As I took blessed refuge in my crafting room, I got to wondering what would happen if I applied watercolors to my embossing folders from Lifestyle Crafts.

Wonder no more!  Here's the card I created, along with a step-by-step tutorial if you're feeling aquatic and adventurous yourself:

I started out by using the Spotted embossing folder, which I opened up and proceeded to paint with plain old ordinary watercolors.  I didn't use any fancy brand of paint-- just a typical kiddie watercolor set that didn't cost much.  I brushed watercolors onto the debossed (indented) side of the embossing folder, though I found that it works on either side, depending on what look you want.  I preferred the look of the debossed side.  Since I was using watercolors and the folders are plastic, the paint merely beaded up, which didn't look promising.  I was a little scared for myself!  Here's how it looked after I applied the watercolor paint:

I proceeded to use the embossing folder as I normally would: I carefully laid down a sheet of Lifestyle Crafts Letterpress paper (though watercolor paper would work, too) on top of the painted side of the folder, closed the folder, then ran it though my machine using the Genius Platform (which I love).  This platform works in many machines, including the Sizzix Big Shot.  I was worried that all that watercolor paint I added would squoosh out or make a mess, but it stayed in place nicely.  Here's what it looked like when I took it out of the machine:

After I removed the paper, I cleaned my folder with a baby wipe, which was super easy.  As I looked at my paper, I liked how it turned out, but I am a color-holic, so I brushed more watercolor paint across the top of the card, letting it drip down to add even more color.  After it dripped, I dabbed it with a paper towel to increase the blending and to remove the excess water.

I decided I wanted to incorporate a little yellow, too, so I let the card dry out a bit, then I went back in with a smaller brush and painted some of the individual circles yellow.

Once the card was dry, I added some text with a rubber stamp ("Script" from IndigoBlu) and Ranger Jet Black Archival ink.

I gave my card a "frame" by using black Gesso, which I applied with a foam brush.  Acrylic black paint would also work, but I love the solid opaque coverage you get with just one coat of black Gesso.

To finish off the card, I glued on some flowers I distressed, along with a "good times" flag that I made from a strip of washi tape.

All in all, this project was a fun adventure and I'll have to experiment some more with what other mediums I can use with embossing folders.