Monday, February 27, 2017

My Other Creations: Altered Rolodex-like Book File

I am indeed an English major geek of the highest order, so I was totally excited to see this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge theme of "Based on a Book."  Why not make a project where the book is the actual base?  So here is my altered Rolodex-ish file made out of a book.


As a person who was taught to never ever fold the pages of books, this was a morally-challenging challenge!  I started with a big book (1200+ pages) of American poetry (forgive me Whitman!!)  I seriously felt pain and guilt with each fold, but then I thought, what better book to have at my fingertips, even if it took on a new shape?  Surround me with literary greats in one form or another and I feel inspired.


This is the first time I've made this type of structure, so I'm by no means an expert at doling out advice, but here's what I did.  I started in the middle of the book and took a section of 5-6 pages. I looped the section in half toward the spine. (Disclaimer!  I forgot to take process pics early-on, so the next couple of pictures are of a totally different book just to show my process).



I tucked the section into the spine as tightly as I could.



Then I folded the section flat and repeated that process about fifty thousand times (it actually wasn't that bad!).  I alternated so that I'd fold a few sections to the left of the center section I started with, then I would fold a few sections to the right of the center section.  Working on it from both sides kept things more even. 


Here it is (picture flipped vertically) when it was done:


Once I had my structure in place, I took patterned paper and started making files/dividers using rectangular dies and the We R Memory Keepers Tab Punch Board and a great little die from Penny Black called Tabs and Toggles.


Once I had my files made, I started putting everything into the book.  The pages held things nicely!  If you wanted thinner book sections, you could certainly fold fewer pages at a time, but I liked the look of the chunkier sections.


I scribbled down some ideas and techniques on some of the file cards and then I started putting in some of my finished cards and tags.  I'm always running out of wall space to display things I've made, so I thought this was a great alternate location.  So it contains tricks and tips and some of my former projects.  I thought it could be an "inspiration station" of sorts.



At the end of the day, this held A LOT of goodies and it's nice to have all of these notes and projects in one centralized location.  And hopefully this project doesn't get me black-balled within the librarian community!  This book does look pretty happy in my craft room, though, right?  So I'm hoping that means all will be forgiven!



Maybe I should've called this the "everything but the kitchen sink" project because I used a lot of paper from different collections.  Here are the supplies I used that you can find at Simon Says Stamp:

I am seriously excited to see how you are inspired by books this week!  Be sure to upload your creations to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!



26 comments:

  1. I do believe that it was your idea for this theme Andrea! and it is a brilliant challenge! Thank You :-)

    I love this book file! the whole design of this is AWESOME I am so going to have to have a go at making one of these! It is such a fabulous and fun project! :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is amazing, Andrea. Love it!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Love your take on this, and I totally understand the guilt factor at altering a book - it took me forever to do it, and it had to be an old Readers Digest so I wouldn't feel as guilty. Great idea to turn it into a "rolodex" and use it to showcase your art. I think I may have to find me a book now...and get that tab! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too feel your pain in the beginning of altering the book. But, WOW you gave it new life. You can see alot if your finished projects, etc at-a-glance. I love it! I'm going to try it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genius idea Andrea! This looks amazing! I too was forbidden to fold book pages, especially the corners! Fantastic project, except for any distress caused to the lovely Walt lol! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is crazy and fantastic! So many details, colors, patterns! You are a queen of fresh and colorful projects. Love this one a lot. Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! Love your book with all the tags!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! As another book-lover, it was a lurch initially to be pulling them apart, folding them, altering them - but since they were books I was rescuing from an otherwise ignoble death in the shredding machines of Oxfam (who don't bother selling hardback donations most of the time - they figure "who wants old books?" - idiots!) I've made my peace with it these days. Love this fabulous inspiration station.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! What a great display piece! As for the book, well, I can relate to your feelings of folding the pages. I keep buying old books to use for projects and then get them home and can't take them apart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just the most fabulous project!!! I love it and have to get my hands on that tab punch machine!!! Thank you so much for sharing and it is an excellent use of old unloved books!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How FUN, Andrea! Brilliant project :)


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so fun, Andrea! Love that you made a rolodex out of that book! It's so colorful and pretty! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, so much work but totally worth it! The project is gorgeous and a great place to keep all your inspiration and ideas... Off to find an old book!... Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your rolodex shouts "explore me." It's an invitation for inspiration and such a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh! Jaw on floor! This is tremendous and so very cool. I especially like seeing it on your work space with all the odds and ends surrounding it. Great inspiration! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, for the love of Pete! First of all, THANK YOU for showing the people how to love a book in more way than one! I normally don't read others' comments, butthis time I wanted to see the reactions from across Blogland. I like Butterfly's comment. This is an awesome upcycle-- one I'd like to try. PS love your nail color!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Genius! I adore this idea to use a book as a base! wonderful! I love so much every kind of patterned papers you used in this project! It's so colorful and I repeat: you're a genius! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, love, LOVE your interpretation of this week's challenge and what you've created is just genius...what an amazing transformation and wonderful project! It's fabulous Andrea, just stunning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow.. this is such a fantastic project, Andrea. Such a brilliant idea of transformation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow what a brilliant take on the challenge...you've blown me away with your beautiful Rolodex book...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, such a fantastic project Andrea!! I knew you would like this theme too. :) Wonderful idea and I love the look of all those colourful papers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow this is amazing and mind blowing beautiful! A project to keep under my hat.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this! Thank you so much for sharing.
    xxx
    Brigit from The Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my, you are such a genius Andrea! This is a stunner, a brilliant idea, a colourful and beautiful addiction to your desk, and even useful. I finally add your blog to my feeds(ehy just takes years to do it, shame on me). And I even found you are a bookworm, I am desperate about what read next, always, I will treasure your advices.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So awesome so sweet of u to shate

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love, love love it and am going to have a play at making one myself so fingers crossed that mine turns out as well as yours...
    Love ~ Lady Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete