Monday, August 8, 2022

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: Spritz and Splatter Art Journals using Whimsy Stamps' Boho Rainbow Dies

Spritz and Splatter is this week's theme over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog.  I do love to get messy in the craft room...unless I'm wearing a new white shirt (note to self: do not do this).  I decided to make two art journals using Whimsy Stamps' fabulous Boho Rainbow die set.


I made the background by squirting dabs of acrylic paint onto my paper and then splattering on a bunch of water and moving around the paint with brushes so that it acts sort of like watercolors.


While that was drying, I cut out and painted some of these gorgeous arches from the Boho Rainbow die set.


I glued the arches to the background paper, like so, and then tore my paper in half.  Then I scribbled around the arches with a pencil (cause if you're getting spritzy and splattery, you might as well throw some scribbly in there, too).


I smeared on some white to tone down the colors, which I thought were a little too salmon-forward.  Then I added in other colors of acrylic paint and reached for the real watercolors.  I painted some watery greens into the mix and then I did more scribbling with Dina Wakley's Scribble Sticks.  The colors look brighter here than they actually were due to a late night and weird camera light tricks.


But what to do with these little creations?  I had to sleep on that.  The next day, I decided to make them into mini art journals because I think we all know I'm addicted to notebooks, journals, and any other sort of thing that has covers and pages.  So I glued these onto some Kraft Heavystock.  I also added more splatter with some Dina Wakley Gloss Spray.


I started ripping up some scrap papers for the pages and bound them inside the covers.  Then I added some sentiments to the front that were courtesy of Dina Wakley's ledger paper.  She's got some great quotes in there!  Since these babies were pretty hefty with all the paper I put inside them, I had to tie them closed with some fabric ribbon that I sewed together.



And if you're curious about the insides, here's a little peek:


I quite enjoyed this project because I firmly believe you can never have too many notebooks or sketchbooks or journals or books in general really.


Here are the supplies I used that you can find at Simon Says Stamp:

What will you spritz and splatter this week?  Upload your creations to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog to inspire others and have a chance at winning a $25 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp Store.