Saturday, February 21, 2015

My Cards and Tags: Hairdo Re-do

I always get a bit antsy during January and February when the weather's gloomy and all the holidays are over.  I yearn for some color and spontaneity!  So I thought to myself, why not dye my hair blue?  Five seconds later, I remembered my work's dress code policy and the fact that I'm way past my prime for sporting blue hair. So I decided to give blue hair to one of my stamp girls instead.  I call this little project, "Hairdo Re-do."


All the stamps used on this card are from 100 Proof Press.  The girl stamp, called Flowers for Hair, is stunning.  I stamped her on flesh-colored cardstock, then fussy-cut around her and added pink chalk to her cheeks.  I trimmed down her stamped hair and glued yarn strands to her head instead, which totally changed the look of the image.  I also made a dress for her.

For the card's background, I started with white cardstock and heat-embossed two stamped images on top of each other (Balance Sheet in black and Large Handwriting, placed vertically, in blue).  On top of that, I stamped Mode de Paris Buttons in green and smeared them with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink.



I followed up with more inking.  I smeared Salty Ocean Distress Ink down the vertical handwriting lines and smudged some Cracked Pistachio and Tumbled Glass Distress Ink on the background, along with some Fresh Green Colorbox ink.



I topped it off with this Papertrey Ink Quatrefoil cover plate die, which I cut a few sections out of and added ink to.  I also glued some of the cut-out pieces back in.



I nestled my blue-haired friend behind the cover plate die, added the Beautiful You sentiment and was done!  I enjoyed this little project and it did beat back that feeling of February Blah...until I have to scrape my frosty car windows again in the morning!