Monday, October 29, 2018

My Cards and Tags: Flying Books Tag

"Take Flight" is this week's intriguing theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog.  You know I'm a literature nerd of the highest order, so I made a little fleet of flying books to represent how reading can take us anywhere.


I started with Strathmore Mixed Media paper cut into a tag shape.  I glued on some text paper then stenciled white paint through a polka dot stencil.

I colored the tag with some white and lavender acrylic paint.  Next I went to town with Infusions!  This is colored powder stuff that you spray with water for all sorts of cool speckly-effects.  I also added Distress Stain around the edges so the whole tag surface was colored with the Infusions and the Distress Stain.

While that was drying, I cut and folded some "books."  I sewed down the middle of them with my trusty sewing machine.

I wanted to add some black into my tag, so I did some scribbling with a black Prima Oil Pastel crayon, then smudged it with my finger and a bit of water.

I found a "by the book" sentiment and glued it to a piece of diagonally-stripped paper, then added a plus sign (also cut from patterned paper).  I glued it onto my tag and surrounded it with my flying books.  I used Dina Wakley's Ultra Thick Gel, which does a great job of adhering things to a paper surface.

Here are the supplies I used, which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:

I'm excited to see what your interpretation of our theme is!  Upload your masterpiece to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to a win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store.