Monday, April 3, 2023

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: Layered Cards using Elizabeth Crafts' Tickets and Tabs Dies and Tim Holtz's Collage Layer Frames and Collage Strips

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge is to add some texture.  We're also highlighting products from Tonic.  I decided to create texture through layers and by using Tonic's Crystal Drops for this card trio I made.


This process was a long one, I'm not gonna lie!  But the good thing about making collage sheets is that you can use them for projects down the road, too.  I love adding layers by making and then gluing scribbly paper together.  For this project, I started by cutting some ticket shapes with Elizabeth Crafts' Tickets and Tabs Dies and then stamped them with Darkroom Door's Open Circles stamp.  Next I used Tonic Watercolor pencils and a paintbrush to color in a few of the dots.


While that was drying, I made a paint collage that I planned to tear up and add as scraps to my background tickets.  I dotted some acrylic paint onto my paper, then smeared it around on the paper with water and a brush.


Once that dried, I added some white paint, scribbles, and marks with a Distress Crayon.  I also used the watercolor pencils again to draw around my arch-shapes.


One ready-to-be-torn piece of paper was done, but I wanted to make another one that had stamping on it.  I took a piece of newsprint and stamped some letters and images onto it using different colors of ink and Tim Holtz's Grunged and School Desk stamp sets.  I also added watercolors, paint, and Distress Crayon scribbles to this background page.


Now my papers were ready to tear and glue and mix and match.  Here's how my three ticket sections were looking after I added scraps and more paint to them:




Now I had three collaged tickets, but I was a bit stuck on what to do next.  I dug through my supplies and decided on some Tim Holtz Collage Layer Frames, which I added paint to.

While I was in my Tim Holtz supply bin, I came across his Collage Strips and cut out a few images from those to use (the bird and the people).  I glued and collaged everything together for the final results.  On this card below, I ripped the ticket on its perforated line and used the curved side as a tab at the top of the card.


With this card pictured below, I ripped the ticket strip in half and stacked them up.  I also added a tab.


And here is how the last one turned out with the scallop-edge I cut, painted and tacked on the top:


For that final last pop of texture, I added some dots of Tonic Crystal Drops in Caribbean Ocean and these cards were done!

Here are the supplies I used that you can find at Simon Says Stamp: