Monday, July 11, 2016

My Other Creations: Notebooks Using Jungle Friends by My Favorite Things

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge theme is, "Flora and Fauna."  This theme reminded me of my dad, who, when we went on hikes when I was growing up, would always admonish us to "embrace the flora and fauna!" (which I did not always do as a moody tween)!  Not sure we ever saw elephants or giraffes on our hikes, but I used some cute little jungle animal dies on my re-vamped composition notebooks:


http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
 I bought these notebooks as a 3-pack from Walmart for under a buck.  Then I traced the cover on patterned paper to get the right shape and layered plaid on top of florals.  I smeared white acrylic paint over the combo to make the patterns look more subtle and blended.



Next I started adding layers!  On both covers, I used the negative outline shape from Tim Holtz's Artful Dwellings die to create a "house frame," which I cut out of Simon Says Stamps' vintage dictionary paper.


With my base complete, it was time to add all the fixin's!  For the elephant cover, I used some hydrangeas cut with Martha Stewart punches, then I added the elephant from My Favorite Things' Jungle Friends die set.  Love the whimsical look of this little guy!  I made a section of polka dot paper and added the word, "Hope," which I got from a strip of Illustrated Faith washi tape.  The heart coming out of the elephant's trunk is from Tim Holtz's shape strips die.  I also wanted some sort of bookmark, so I made one topped with a number from Tim Holtz's Ruler Ribbon.  

  
I do know the difference between zebras and giraffes, but I just wanted to give this giraffe a stripped funky vibe instead of a traditional look, so I went with black and white paper.  The background is the same as what I did for the elephant, but I added some polka dot washi to create a faux door to the house and tacked on a snippet out of a cook book, since I thought anything with "sugar" would fit into my whimsical theme.  The sentiment on this one is from the Journal Words stamp set.

   
One last thing I wanted to give to these notebooks was an elastic strap to keep them closed.  I'd never done one of those before, so I was excited to give it a goOn the back of the notebook, I used my Crop-A-Dile to punch and set two eyelets (yes, I still use and love eyelets)!  I found some elastic ribbon in my stash and measured it to the length I would need for it to wrap around the notebook.


  
I strung the elastic through the holes, then sewed the ends together with my sewing machine.


I pulled the sewed section through so that it was hidden underneath the section between the eyelets on the back cover and wah-la!  My elastic band was complete.

   
Here are the products I used to make my notebooks, which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:


I thoroughly enjoyed this project and can't wait to see your Flora and Fauna creations.  Be sure to upload them to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!
https://simonsaysstamp.com/
https://simonsaysstamp.com/
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
 

21 comments:

  1. LOVE these Andrea!! I want to make some!! your funky zebra giraffe is such fun and I love the colours, papers and layering, absolutely gorgeous and I love that you added a little elastic too a perfect finishing touch! did I tell you that I LOVE them? oh yes I did ;-)

    hope you have a great week!
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are DARLING! And I LOVE seeing your process ... thank you for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cheery and uplifting. Love the colours and sweet focal imagery. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply delightful! Love all the layers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are adorable!! What a great gift for a child or new parent. Brilliant idea with the elastic ribbon!!! So, so sweet!!! I do wonder what you did see on those hikes as a tween ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The small scale makes these so charming! I can't explain it but the colors you choose always make me hungry for candy (Skittles?) Great tip on the elastic closure too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The funky giraffe really appeals to my sense of humour, I love it. I also love how you put the elastic band around with the eyelets - that's a great tip. Great transformations! Thank you for your comment on my blog, it really made my day!! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just have a way with....well everything creative....that's for sure! More projects that I love! The colors and design and all of your little touches and accents...they're just WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My Goodness, Andrea! I'm so in love with these little notebooks. The whimsy, colors, design and genius elastic closure make these so amazing! I love, love, love the colors you choose, always so bright, cheerful and dreamy.

    Hugs,
    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! These are adorbeez... I'm partial to elephants, so that'll be my pick of the day. I also noticed that the scale of the house lends to the proper scale of the animals... 😊 haha! Way to go on the elastic banding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is super adorable, Andrea. Love the beautiful colors and the layers of embellishments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a super awesome idea and tutorial, I loved your covers! I'm pretty sure MFT is going to be sold out of those stamps very soon :-) Also, congratulations on two of your cards making into the current issue of The Stamper's Sampler (I looovvvveeed THEM!!!) They mention that there were stamps used in them by snapping monsters. Were those your own hand drawn images? I loved them! If they are stamps, do you know where I can buy them? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! Thanks so much for your kind words and kudos. I do have two stamp sets that I made and have sold/am currently selling in my Etsy shop. One set has whimsical girls and the other set has bubble wands, polka dots and a color wheel. Not sure which cards you are referring to since I have a few that I submitted. If you click on the link to my Etsy shop that's on the home page of my blog, you can see the set that is currently being sold. If this is NOT the set you're interested in, then you must like my first set. Shoot me an email at friend_of_ben@yahoo.com and we can clarify which set you're looking for. Thanks again!

      Delete
  13. Fabulous notebooks, Andrea! Love your whimsical style! Those fun animals are perfect! You're amazing with different patterns! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. As always your projects are gorgeous! these little and fun animals are perfect for your style! Wonderful! barbara

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow what a great idea and what a transformation...love the papers and your adorable jungle friends...enjoy what's left of the weekend...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful transformation of ordinary notebooks into something so unique, so wonderful and so full of fun! I just adore these Andrea and as with all your projects, these make me smile wide ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your notes are absolutely sweet and the cutest thing ever! I love the giraffe, she rocks! Great colors and brave mix of patternes. Lovely! Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you kidding me?!?!?! You have so much talent girl! I'm surprised you haven't exploded yet. These composition books just made me smile. I can just imagine a hike where you would get to see these whimsical animals in "the wild". Love your colors and layers. And I just gotta say that the eyelets are awesome. Brilliant!!! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super creative--love all the details! You're an amazing designer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adorable notebooks and all your other collage artwork is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete