Monday, August 13, 2018

My Cards and Tags: Tag Trio using Tim Holtz's Scribble and Splat Dies

We have a fabulous theme of "Sprinkles and Splatters" for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.  I absolutely LOVE Tim Holtz's Scribbles and Splat die set and used the splat shape as my main focal point on this tag trio.


I started, as usual, with Strathmore Mixed media paper, which I cut into tag shapes with dies and my Big Shot.  Then I unscrewed the tops of some Dylusions Ink Sprays and Marabu Acrylic Art Sprays, took the nozzle part in my hand and flicked the sprays onto my paper.  The long skinny tube that goes down into the bottles is a great "flick-er" that will send little sprinkles and splats of color onto your surface.

Next up, those fabulous splat shapes!  I cut the splats with the aforementioned Tim Holtz die and my Big Shot then used Hero Arts Neon ink and Distress Ink to color them in.  I stamped some text patterns onto them using an Impression Obsession stamp and Ranger Jet Black Archival ink, then I outlined each splat with a black Sharpie.  I also cut black splats to use behind my colored splats (offset a bit to give my splats some dimension and added pow).

I added a little acrylic paint around the edges of my tags, then I went for my American Crafts embossing pen.  I've been a crafter forever and don't know how I've missed the beauty of embossing pens until now!  These pens from American Crafts are especially handy because the 3-pen set comes with pens that all have a different tip shape and they write in pink so you can see where to add your embossing powder.  The pink disappears once you set it with your heat tool.  I doodled some black circles and dots and heat-embossed them with black embossing powder.

You know my addiction to color, so I couldn't leave these backgrounds yet!  I grabbed my Marabu Art Crayons and scribbled some different colors along the edges.  I blended and mixed the colors with a paintbrush and some water and let it bleed and drizzle down the tags.

It is always with some trepidation that I smudge black onto my projects because it's really hard to go back if you add too much.  Nevertheless, I gathered my courage and smudged some black paint down the tags as a base for where I'd be gluing on my splats.  Then I cut some "hi" letters with my Big Shot and Tim Holtz's Cutout Lower Case alphabet.  I left the letters white, but outlined them with a Sharpie.  I glued my splats to my tags, then added the "hi's" to my splats.  I topped these off with Christmas ornament hooks, which is a nice alternative to fibers, yarn or string if you're feeling lazy or minimalistic.  Here's how they turned out:





Here are the supplies I used that you can find at Simon Says Stamp:


I'm excited to see how you get sprinkly and splatter-y this week!  I truly enjoy seeing your creativity and am inspired by your submissions to our challenges.  The bonus is that when you upload your projects to our Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog, you are eligible to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store.  Sweet!