Sunday, September 15, 2013

Tutorials: Stamping on Painted Washi Tape

As STAMPtember rages on at Simon Says Stamp, our challenge this week was to stamp on something non-traditional.  I've been loving experimenting with stamping images onto Washi tape that I've painted with acrylic paint.  Here's the finished product, along with a tutorial on how I created it:



I started out with some patterned paper from October Afternoon and some Washi tape from Tim Holtz and My Mind's Eye.  I started laying out the Washi tape in strips.  Because Washi can sometimes curl up, I used an industrial strength glue stick to permanently stick down any edges that looked like they might rebel.



Next I added some Gesso and acrylic paint in random splotches on top of the Washi.



After the Gesso and paint dried, I decided I didn't like the color combo, so I went back in and added another few splotches of darker blue paint.  That's the beauty of paint: if at first you don't like the color, paint on it again!  Then I flipped the piece vertically (just because I liked the look of it better for this project) and trimmed down my paper to a smaller size.  I stamped a Tim Holtz sentiment onto the Washi and heat embossed it.  I then used this great sunburst stencil from The Crafter's Workshop and heat embossed the sunburst stencil pattern on as well.



Next I stamped a bird image (from Dyan Reveley's "Birds on a Wire" set) on a separate piece of paper, cut it out, drew a crown for it and cut it out, too, then adhered the bird to my background on top of the sentiment.  I also cut out some polka dots from a patterned piece of paper and added them on as well.



As always, I smeared some distress ink onto the finished product and wah-la!  My project was complete!



Here are just a few choice supplies that I used on my project that are available from Simon Says Stamp:




As always, I'm inspired by the challenge themes posted on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog.  And I'm inspired by the works of creative geniuses everywhere (yes, I'm talking to you)!  So be sure to join in the stamping fun and submit something to the challenge for a chance to win fame and fortune (or at least $50 to the Simon Says Stamp Store)!
50dollar_voucher_600px

19 comments:

  1. I LOVE the look of this!!!! Will have to try it myself soon! Awesome colours and composing too! A very artsy make!

    Hugs,
    Claudia - die amelie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous creation, love the texture and thanks for the tips on washi tape :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea...such a cute project! I love the text bird in the center of all of your other goodness. :) The embossed rays in white really pop. Love the vertical washi tape! Agree...it looks way cool vertically! The circle pops of color really look cool, too! Love it! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely creation, Andrea. Your stamping on the woodgrain background and washi tapes is awesome. Love your design! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrea, I absolutely love this, adding the tape in the background adds wonderful detail and I love the embossed rays too. The bird is the perfect touch. Enjoy your week. Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great project, Andrea! I love that you take patterned paper and make it your own unique style.
    And the fact that you use an industrial strength gluestick just upped your cool factor. :) I personally think that gluesticks are a necessity, it's just that they have this bad reputation.

    PS....I really like the crown too. Nice touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super gorgeous! Love the way you added color to the washi!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yous background is absolutely fabolous! amazing project! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very cool Andrea! Love the rays and the colours, and of course the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool idea. The background kind of looks like a fence that's had layers and layers of fliers hung up on it, with your design being the one on the top. It looks so authentic and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the way your sentiment is placed on the painted surface with the sunburst emphasizing it! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! The rays are stunning and love the idea of stamping on washi tape. That bird is so cute! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truly, truly a piece of art...beautiful, just getting in to some mixed media myself, so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful project! Love how you stamped on the washi tape Andrea! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is awesome!!! I really like the tape background. The gesso and paint give the stamped images something to adhere to ... great idea!! I love the embossed sentiment and burst. And the polka dots were the perfect punch of color for this piece. Fabulous inspiration for this week's challenge. Love it!! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum... the washi is so cool against that woodgrain paper (gorgeous), and I love how the layers of paint and stamping build up to give such depth and texture to the final look. Fabulous!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, the embossing sunburst looks awesome! Love your collage, this little piece of art! Thank you also so much for your sweet comment on my blog!!! Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all the layers and the splendid color scheme in this piece. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love the detail in the layering and texture that you were able to create with this! Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete