Sunday, March 9, 2014

My Other Creations: Upcycled Memo Holder

What an absolutely fabulous challenge theme we have this week at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog!  The theme is, "D is for Distress."  I decided to play with alcohol inks and created this weathered-looking memo holder out of an old cheese grater and a vintage curler:


Just to show you the power of these alcohol inks (which I simply dripped and dabbed onto the metal with the help of the Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink Applicator tool), I've included a before and after shot of the curler.

Before alcohol ink: a nice shiny metal surface.


After alcohol ink: all sorts of swirly rusty colors.


The great thing about alcohol inks is that they instantly transform metal.  And once the color's on there, it's there for the count!

In addition to smudging and coloring my metal, I also heat embossed some black cursive text onto the background (using a Wendy Vecchi stamp) for an added layer of texture:



To give the flowers a more weathered appearance, I dabbed them with brown ink.  

With the curler acting as my "clip," I've attached a vintage-looking ticket to my trusty memo holder.  It's also magnetic for more memo fun.

I finished off the piece with some scraggly yarn and a "Salvaged" metal word band that I also distressed.



This was a fun project and it was made possible by this array of crafting supplies that you can get at Simon Says Stamp:




I can't wait to see you get your Distress on this week!  Be sure to upload the photo of your distressed creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog.  You can help inspire the rest of us as well as enter yourself into a random drawing for $50 of Simon Says Stamp store credit.  Wa-hoo!

50dollar_voucher_600px

21 comments:

  1. I love this! I can see that hanging in a country rustic kitchen. I want to check out the op shop now and see what they have that I can reinvent. I don't have the alcohol inks to make it shabby chic though. Will have to put my thinking cap on. But I do love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the project ! It's super cool .. I better start getting busy :) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Andrea, wow.. this is such a creative and fun creation. Love the gorgeous alcohol ink effect and vintage look. Fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh wow Andrea! I really love the grungy and distresness of it! It's dark but also bright! Love it! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun creation, Andrea! I love the texture and the colors you added to the memo holder! The flowers really POP off this piece :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the upcycle design and use of everyday vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your upcycled project Andrea. I was just thinking I don't use my alcohol inks enough, great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Andrea! What a fun and creative project! That background is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You crack me up. I loved your comment. And yes, I do have to watch the glitter. I love it. I really, really do. BUT! I do have to watch out for the tacky high heels on the strip. (Which is now my latest favorite phrase!)

    Now I want to talk about your project. This project amazes me in ways that you could not even comprehend. You see, my Mother had a COLLECTION of old cheese graters hanging on her kitchen wall. I'm not talking about one or two; it's more like, thirty or so. When she decided to pare down, she asked me if I wanted any and I told her no because I had no idea what I'd do with them. Looks like I should've asked you first, because I LOVE this! And I spotted the old curler right away. SO cool. The two innocent flowers juxtaposed with the metal is pure art. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Andrea...you always make such fabulous pieces and I absolutely love this project. It's so unique and who'd have thought that an old cheese grater could become such an awesome piece of art...just wonderful! Hope you have a great week... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a wonderful inspiration! An incredible idea and wonderfully put in place! your old cheese grater is fabulous and I love the way you distress it! The alcohol ink are amazing and very versatile, perfect on the metal! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just too cool... brilliant inspiration (going to haunt charity shops for cheese graters now!) - and the alcohol inks look fabulous. Fantastic!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous project Andrea! You always have such fun ideas! Love the found items you used here and the alcohol ink transformed them perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. only your artsy brain could create such beauty with a vintage cheese grater and curler! LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andrea,
    I love this so creative and would fit well in any space.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!!! What a transformation on this grater! This is the coolest project ever! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I Love this recycled project, Andrea! The cheese grater is fabulous and I love how you've re-purposed it for a memo holder.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!
    An awesome project.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is brilliant! I had a old rusty grater sitting on my desk waiting for me to work on it! Fabulous project! Love how you rustified with the alcohol ink. Always a treat to stop over and see your art!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Andrea, you are brilliant!! What a great idea! I know I have about 3 graters, so time to search the drawers, and I really need to head to the flea market.

    ReplyDelete