Monday, November 20, 2017

My Other Creations: Art Journal Spread Using Donna Downey's Dandelion Pods Stencil

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge theme is, "Tear it Up."  I went with a collage approach where I tore up some pictures and patterned paper, then did some painting and stamping and stenciling.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I'm not sure I love this end result.  I feel like it's a little too all-over-the-place.  But such is the battle with collage.  You add and add and add and even then, you sometimes don't quite reach the end vision you had in mind.  The part of this collage that I like the most is that record-player pic, which had nothing to do with me!

I started out by gluing some magazine pictures to the journal I made in my last post.  I don't know who to credit for the photos, which I love.  The white journal paper was cheap, so I ended up having to reinforce the pages by gluing them down on Strathmore Mixed Media paper when I was done.

Next I painted around the photos with acrylic paint (Dina Wakley and Prima Impasto brands).

It's kind of a blur from here-- I glued down some patterned paper, then sprayed on some Dylusions Ink Spray and added some Brusho crystals.  Things got drippy and messy and I wasn't liking it.  When it all dried, I stamped some circles onto it with Tim Holtz's Halftone and Rings stamp set and painted white inside them.

I wasn't loving it at this point, so frustration led me to cut off and replace 75% of the left page.  I patched in more patterned paper and re-did the painting and stamping to add that part of the page back on.  Then I stenciled over both pages with Donna Downey's Dandelion Pods stencil and black paint.  I painted the insides of the circles green.

I made a Washi tape collage and cut circles out of it and glued them into the centers of the circles.  That made it look better-ish.  I also stenciled some black pixel shapes on using Stencilgirl's Pixels stencil.  I tacked on some more Washi for good measure.  Here's a close-up of the left side.

And here's a close-up of the right side:

If nothing more, this project proves that we end up liking some of our creations more than others!  I do like some parts of this, so I'll take it as a win.

Here are the supplies I used (which I do love) that you can find at Simon Says Stamp:

I'm excited to see how you tear it up this week!  Upload your creations to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to earn $50 to the Simon Says Stamp store.