Friday, April 3, 2020

My Other Creations: Junk Journal

I made this junk journal and tried to actually follow proper thick-book-binding techniques this time rather than sewing up the middle of it with too-tight of a stitch on my sewing machine.

The cover is made from Strathmore Mixed Media paper, some washi, text scraps, and lots of Infusions Color Stains by Paper Artsy.  To get the black circles, I just put some black paint on a plastic lid that was headed for the recycling bin.  The "no clear idea" text was cut out of an old book.  I splattered some black spots on by flicking some Dylusions Black Marble ink spray on.

I made two "signatures" (paper pamphlet/wads) that were hand-stitched up the center, then I attached those to the cover.

Here's a quick little flip-through video of the inside pages I cobbled together.  I basically used some old ledger paper, recipe pages, book pages, a paper bag, vellum, collage scraps, flashcards and whatever else was lying nearby.