Sunday, April 13, 2014

My Other Creations: Winged Things

This week's theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog is "Winged Things."  The possibilities are endless!  Oh how I adore little flitting creatures and mythical beings that fly (mosquitoes and blood-sucking bats excluded)!  Since I've totally been in Spring-dreaming Mode, I decided to go with butterflies for this one:



I made this piece using a vintage Jello mold base which I wrapped wires around and attached butterflies to. I painted the tin using Gesso and acrylics, then I brushed on some Clear Rock Candy crackle paint here and there to give it a more aged look.  I also added some inks to the final piece for more depth.

I use my Martha Stewart butterfly punches all the time.  They definitely make my Top Three list of most frequently used hand punches.  I cut two of each size of butterflies, then glue the two sets together for a more dimensional effect.


I added some flowers along the edge of my tin, then filled the base with some colored yarn and fibers.  I finished it off with this fabulous sentiment that I cut out of a piece of Prima patterned paper.



I made this piece using these fine products, available at the Simon Says Stamp store:





So how will you interpret the wonderfully broad theme of "Winged Things?'' I can't wait to see what you make!  Be sure to upload your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for a chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store.
50dollar_voucher_600px

20 comments:

  1. What an absolutely stunning creation Andrea! I adore butterflies and I love the soft tones you have used. That vintage jelly mould with the twisted wire was a genius idea. I could just look at this for ages............ Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea, I have seen these molds many times and often thought they would look fabulous altered and here it looks stunning. Great idea and design and I love the butterflies. I need to buy some molds now! love this. Enjoy your week. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I love how you wrapped the wire and had the butterflies floating outwards. I could see this as a gift tin with one of your beautiful pieces of jewelry tucked in the tin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. this is such a gorgeous creation, Andrea. Those beautiful butterflies on the wires are just flying like real ones. What a brilliant and fantastic design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pure eye candy!
    I love the whimsical butterflies. And the jello mold? ...Brilliant! I adore this! One of my all-time favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous idea!!! This turned out so pretty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely beautiful Andrea. I love that you used a vintage piece in your project. This will inspire me for my next project. Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE this whimsical beautiful piece of artwork. It's just an amazing concept and so beautifully done... Wonderful work, as always Andrea!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Completely inspired - from the jello mould to those sculptural wires to the fabulous fluttering butterflies topping it off - love, love it!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful project! I love the sentiment and the dimension :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing, Andrea! Love het wires and the butterflies on them! So very pretty! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know that I look forward your project on Monday to see where you go with your imagination? This work makes me dream!It's fabulous and has a ethereal and fairy spirit which I love! Fantastic and already pinned! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty piece Andrea and a great idea as always. Love thw wire and the fluttering butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Andrea, just love the 3D effects and the swirling butterflies - so creative xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love, love this little 'bucket' with the wonderful metal swirls and fluttering butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andrea....I so love your winged things butterfly creation! It is so YOU! I love the flowers...those are simply gorgeous elegance! And those precious butterflies! I love them and what a great idea to use Martha Stewart punches! I never think of that! I always think of Tim's mini butterfly die cuts! We got back from our cruise last night and had all of our mail delivered. I didn't have anything from you. I hope that the postman didn't lose my little fabric scraps!!! Thank you fir the very sweet comments you left on my blog, too. You always make me feel so special. Love, Candy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Andrea, well I am here to thank you, once again, for the lovely comment you left on my Simon Says Stamp entry - big smiles from me again today!
    I love, love, love this! I adore and enjoy using paper butterflies on my creations but this is gorgeous! Lovely work, love all of it! Have a good week Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH... I just LOVE this! How is it that you never cease to amaze me?!?!? Such a fun piece. I would love to have this in my home :)

    ReplyDelete