Sunday, May 11, 2014

My Cards and Tags: Sassy Prima Girl Card

Our theme this week over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog is "M is for....."  I decided to go with "M is for masking tape."  I love the texture it can add to any creation.  Here's a card I made featuring masking tape and an adorable Prima girl named Natalie:



Usually when I use the Prima girl stamps (designed by the talented Julie Nutting), I make their dresses fancy and their backgrounds subtle.  This time I decided to change it up a bit and make a fancy background with a subtle dress.

I created the background by stacking up several strips of patterned paper from Bazzill's "Vintage Lace" line, which I added some stenciling to.  Next I whipped out the masking tape and crunched/scrunched some strips onto my background.  I painted over various spots of the background (including the tape) with Gesso and acrylic paints.  I sponged on Distress Ink for added depth.  I made Natalie's dress from a subtle teal paper and adhered it to the background.  Then I stamped Natalie onto a piece of overhead transparency film using StazOn ink, cut her out and glued her on top of the dress (kind of backwards, I know).  I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but the effect is that she's sort of "fading" into the background in some spots, but still stands out.



Last but not least, I added the following sentiment from Wendy Vecchi's "A Form of Art" stamp set: "Her style was sassy with just a bit of attitude."



These girl stamps from Prima have endless possibilities.  Every time I use them, they remind me of my mom and my grandma who taught me how to make paper dolls when I was little.  I love that reminiscent feeling and I still enjoy thinking of how I can make each girl's outfit and personality unique.

Here are some of the supplies I used, which you can find at the Simon Says Stamp store:



How will you complete our "M is for....." challenge?  I can't wait to see what those clever minds of yours think up!  I genuinely find so much inspiration from seeing the projects you upload to our Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog.  And remember!  When you enter, you qualify for the random drawing of a $50 voucher to spend at Simon Says Stamp.

50dollar_voucher_600px

16 comments:

  1. Oh my Andrea! What a work of art! Your masking tape pieces add a great touch! Love the texture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you used those masking tape to created such a beautiful background, Andrea. It's a brilliant idea to stamp Natalie on the transparency film. Wonderful creation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous project Andrea!! The striped background is absolutely stunning and it was a great idea to stamp the woman on a transparency. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome project.The background is lovely and love the texture with masking tape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really pretty, Andrea! Love the sassy prima girl looking all fancy on top of the stunning masking tape! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool & chic application, Andrea!


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These's so much to like with this piece, from the masking tape ruffles (have you ever made your own washi tape by stamping and painting on strips of masking tape?), to the sharp yet translucent effect in the madam's dress by using a transparency. But my favorite part is the dark waves you applied throughout that give it so much movement and visual appeal. Sassy? You bet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This girl has spunk!
    I love the scrunched tape! I cannot believe that you achieved that fabulous texture by using humble masking tape. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea i'm speechless! this is one of my favourite pieces of yours! i love so much every little detail: idea , colors and the doll is so beautiful! Amazing! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Andrea, this is just wonderful and I agree with Barbara, I think it's one of my favourites too!! There is just so much gorgeous detail and that fabulous texture on the background is just perfect!! It's most definitely a sassy piece and I just love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea...you've done it again! I love this! You are just amazing with your art and your FABRIC! Your girl is so cool....stamped onto transparency and melting into your gorgeous background. I love the stacked papers and the messy masking tape! Wow...what cool art you make!!! Your "M" should have been for "MASTER" ... master of all things with fabric and all things MAGNIFICENT! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This gal is FAB and I am loving your layered background... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stylish and elegant! Lovely fabric background which seems a perfect backdrop to your elegant lady!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely adore the magical misty look you've created over those fabulous washi tapes... gorgeous!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous Doll! Love the misty look and I have a washi tape fetish, so I LOVE this to pieces! I would also like to add that I was blown away by the kind words you left on my blog! Thank you for the positive feedback. Art journalling and mixed media in general is something I'm a newbie in! Thanks again Andrea!
    Hugs Debbie
    Scraps From A Broad

    ReplyDelete
  16. M is for mind blown! I could study this card for days. Your artistic talents know no bounds.

    ReplyDelete