Monday, September 12, 2016

My Other Creations: Gift Card Boxes Using Seth Apter Spellbinders Dies

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge theme is, "At the Movies" and we're highlighting some great products from Spellbinders.  I used a bunch of Seth Apter's fantabulous dies as well as a great stamp from Tammy Tutterow.  I decided to make some gift boxes that are the perfect size for movie theater gift cards.  Gift cards always make me HAPPY, so that's the sentiment I chose.



http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
I started out with plain old white jewelry boxes that are approximately 3.5" square.  I glued black card-stock to the box so that it would show through the spaces in the shapes that I cut.  I used all Seth Apter dies on these boxes with the exception of the "happy" letters (from Reverse Confetti).  One great thing about these dies is that they serve double-duty: the negative spaces on these are amazing!

For the dark box, I cut out a Seth Apter ring (from the Ring Around set) and stamped on the negative shape that was left with Tammy Tutterow's Big Fabric stamp.  I glued that on top of my black card-stock box lid.



See how you can see the black card-stock peeking through my die-cut circle?  Next it became the layering game!  In addition to the rings I cut and inked, I cut out two of Seth's Robo Squares.  I inked one of them turquoise and glued it to the box.  I cut the second one out of black card-stock and decided to cut it up into strips, which you can see below.



When I got all the layers on, I smeared some black paint here and there and then went back in and smudged some Distress Ink on to brighten it up in a few spots.  I added the "Happy" sentiment and box number one was done!


I wanted to give the second box a totally different look, so I changed up my color palette.  On this one, the background is made using the negative shape of one of the Robo Square dies, then I layered on more dies like I did on the previous box.  I smeared it with white paint instead of black.  I love the Splatter Proof die and wanted to make it replicate the sun on this box.


I loved making these boxes and had a blast using so many great Spellbinders products.  Here are the supplies I used that you can find at Simon Says Stamp:

I can't wait to see how you run with this week's theme!  And for the record, my all-time favorite movie is "The 'Burbs," followed closely by Ben Stiller's "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty."  So get out your crafty supplies and your favorite flick and let's see what you create!  Upload your projects to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win the $50 voucher to Simon Says Stamp!
https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

15 comments:

  1. Lovely, cute and crazy! LOve the colors and mix of patterns and dies. Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, your little boxes...make me happy :) These are adorable, and what a great little ticket box for a treat! Love your colorful world, and I see you even went over to the dark side a bit. Every time I see you use a Seth die I don't have, it goes on my wishlist! Cute, cute little boxes!! xx maura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, thanks to you, I'm-a need all the Seth Apter dies... but then hear me out: it's like bringing a hair picture to the hairdresser: I'm never gonna look like the girl in the picture!!! So I could have the same dies, but I can't achieve your works... LOL! (How's that for an analogy?!) These are radical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wishlist is full of Seth's stamps and dies! you used them in a way totally amazing! love both your boxes but the dark box is my favourite! Stunning work! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea, Andrea! Of course I will always admire your use of color, but also I love the idea of presenting a gift in a FUN way!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, Andrea, now I have to put the Seth Apter dies on my wish list. You're such an enabler. ;) Awesome project as always.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing gift card boxes Andrea...I wish I had half your imagination...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing gift card boxes Andrea...I wish I had half your imagination...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are awesome! Your colors always POP right out and make me happy too, how could they not? Lovely little boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so cool, Andrea! Love the darker one, you don't usually use much in one project! I like it! Let's come over to the dark side, LOL! You're really amazing with color, but you're also with more black! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your cute creation, Andrea. The color schemes on both boxes are so beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous gift boxes Andea, the dies you used and way you layered them remind me of a movie camera too, great idea,! LOVE THEM 😍

    Luv
    Lols X X X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous gift boxes Andrea, I particularly LOVE the darker one...that is stunning and I adore the way you've used the dies ~ your imagination always blows me away and your work is always amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These boxes are wonderful Andrea and I love your use of those dies. Such a cool mix of frames and shapes. Gorgeous colours as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these boxes Andrea. So bright and layered!

    ReplyDelete