Monday, September 19, 2016

My Other Creations: Upcycled Cassette Tape Magnets

"Inspired by Music" is this week's theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog.  Such a great theme!  To pay homage to all those years I sat by the tape player waiting to hit "record" on my favorite song and hoping the DJ didn't talk over the ending, I decided to turn an old cassette tape into a set of magnets.


http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
 I started by splitting a cassette tape into two halves (this one had tiny screws that I had to remove) and then sanding each tape.  I sanded for two reasons: one was to make it easier for things to adhere to the surface (wasn't sure if I would be painting them or what) and the other reason was to remove the musician's name so he/she wouldn't feel bad that I'd destroyed their life's work.


Next up was a few coats of heavy white Gesso.


And behold the magic of ink!  Using just a sponge, I applied ink (Peacock Feathers, Ground Espresso and Ranger Jet Black Archival in this case) to the cassette tape's surface.  Great color and coverage!


With the base color done, I just traced out the pattern for the rectangles in the middle and added embellishments and words.



On the back of the tapes, I used an adhesive 3-D dot to stick on some magnets.  I also glued the black cassette "spokes" back on to the teal tape to make it look more legit.  Here's how they look from the back:


And here's  how they look "in action" on one of my magnetic bulletin boards:


These were fun and easy to make and I love how they take me back in time to the days of Debbie Gibson and Milli Vanilli!  

Here are the supplies I used that you can find at Simon Says Stamp:



So how will you be inspired by music this week?  Can't wait to see how you interpret our theme!  Be sure to upload your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!
https://simonsaysstamp.com/
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
https://simonsaysstamp.com/

19 comments:

  1. Wow..What an awesome project this is ! I totally loved the unique magnets :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute are those! I so remember trying to record songs from the radio! You chose the perfect colors and papers for your fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute are those! I so remember trying to record songs from the radio! You chose the perfect colors and papers for your fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So 80's retro, and just brilliant!! Andrea, you think of everything, even to not making the performer feel bad that you destroyed their work - ha ha! Love your idea of turning something many of us have and don't use anymore into something so cool and useful! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  5. YESSSSSSSS, the mixed tape! Kids these days will never know...
    I must always sound so patronizing, but you just rock my world week after week. This, however, could be my #1 fave of yours. Idk-- i also loved the mermaid art kit...
    Keep on rockin'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant, Andrea ... fun and so creative ... and your post so took me back to those days of trying to record from the radio onto tape without the voice over ... sweet memories!! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, what a totally awesome idea! Great inspiration. i still have tons of those. You made some great pieces of art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So FUN! I have just had a flashback to my youth, seems like a long trip lol Always kept a pencil handy when those suckers unrolled hahaha These are just fabulous, so clever and all around FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glory Be!! I have read your posts and this entry had my thinking 'I wonder if I have ever explored her website?' So, today I did just that and you are now my very favorite crafter. Your tutorials are so wonderful and use products I have on hand. So fun! I want to go make a coin purse now.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun project, Andrea! These totally remind me of my childhood! :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My gosh, where do you get your ideas, Andrea! This project is so fun and so outside the box, it's genius. Love it!!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I saw this on the SSS blog, I had to jump on over here to leave some serious love. BRILLIANT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a fun project Andrea...you sure are one clever upcycling cookie..nhugs katy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing! Love your recycling project! You have a creative mind, brilliant! Love the colors! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the fun, retro vibe of these Andrea and as an 80's girl, I remember cassettes so very well and adore how you've transformed them into something so different and so unique! Love...love...LOVE!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is crazy, Andrea! I guess you're able to alter absolutely everything :-) I love the colors and patterns. The fabric elements are so sweet! Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a fun and cute creation! Andrea. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Certainly making me think what I have around the house that can be turned into art!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, Andrea! These are amazing! Only you can come up with out of the box project like this and alter it into your own unique style! I totally love it! I had to laugh about the second reason you sanded the cassettes! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete