Monday, October 24, 2016

My Cards and Tags: Autumn Tags Using Reverse Confetti Dies

Welcome to this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge theme of AUTUMN!  I do love this time of year when I whip out my boots and go crunching through the leaves.  In fact, trees and leaves changing colors were my inspiration for these tags:


http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
These tags had quite the journey and I almost chucked them several times before their completion.  I started by cutting some Reverse Confetti tags out of Strathmore Mixed Media paper, which I have grown quite addicted to.  Then I took some sponges and smeared Distress Ink on them.


I stamped some circles on them with Ranger Jet Black Archival ink and Tim Holtz's Halftone and Rings stamp set.  I cut and inked up some Swirlies dies, also from Reverse Confetti, and glued them on top.  I added some Washi tape, but ended up removing it as the almost-doomed process continued.


Once I had them colored, I added in a bunch of black paint.  But whoa!  Went too heavy on the black, so I waited for it to dry, then painted over the black with thick coats of white paint (this is what gives the edges sort of a gray-blue tinge).


Next I added some paper embellishments to the center of the tags, but hated how that looked, so I ripped them off.  Another failure!  So all that great "texture" you're seeing in these close-up's is where I scraped off what I'd glued on.


What finally saved the day was another great little tree die from Reverse Confetti, which I paired with some sentiments from Tim Holtz's Small Talk Occasions stickers.
 

In the end, I thought these tags looked sort of like trees with the leaves swirling off in a big circle of colors, which is what this time of year reminds me of.  And the lesson, as we've all seen as we craft, is to stick with a project until you know it is really truly and fully dead.  These were on life support, but I managed to bring them back and like how they turned out in the end, scraped-off surfaces and all!

These are the supplies I used, which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:


I know you'll have lots of Autumn inspiration flowing, so do upload your creative creations to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win the $50 gift voucher!

https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

22 comments:

  1. Gorgeous tags Andrea, the colours and whole design of these is absolutely fabulous! LOVE them :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, x 3!! I am in love with these tags - the colors are yummy, and I love when a "mistake" (too much black paint) becomes something magical instead! You always pick out such wonderful little pieces and make them work so well together. Another amazing project, Andrea!! hugs, maura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your colors are always so dreamy, Andrea, and oh how I can relate to a project taking so many disastrous turns only to end up putting a smile on my face when I've decided to stick with it. You had me laughing and relating throughout your entire blog post. These tags turned out amazing and should be a lesson to everyone that there are no mistakes in art. Just gorgeous!!!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I love the colors as always. You have so brillant ideas I am in awe. Thank you for inspiration. Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous tags! starting to fall i love with your very cool style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun and bright take on Fall! It's so YOU, Andrea! I love it!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Stick with a project until you know it is really truly and fully dead." So true! Sometimes, you take bigger risks when you think it's hopeless and that's when the really good stuff starts to happen. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT JOB....GLAD YOU DID NOT CHUCK THEM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. FANtastic! I love how they came out, from your beautiful colors to your designs and layouts :) I could send you a nice little recycling bucket, you know with my address on it...just in case LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job Andrea: always happy to come a visit your blog. love the colors . and thank you for visiting my blog as well.

    God Bless
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazing as always Andrea and I'm so glad you didn't give up on your fabulous works of art...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous tags, love them. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I felt like I was reading a novel, and it was unfolding after each picture! I'm like, "The tape..." and then the next chaper: "...she removed the tape!" (gasp!) These are just perfect, and I will pick up some MM paper next time I'm in the city... maybe this weekend, since my fam ate all of the Halloween candy meant for Halloween...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wait, one more thing: I know some lady who makes awesome stamps that would look great in the background of these... XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so fresh and modern! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your work is totally cool! I love white that you've added over your painting! As always a wonderful rainbow!Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've got such an eye for colour, Andrea and I love how you can create such vibrant pieces! These tags are just wonderful and so inspiring with all the detail and texture you've incorporated ~ gorgeous work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your beautiful creation, Andrea. The colors you created are always awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Andrea, Please can you tell me what type off glue you use for the dies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there and thanks for your question! My favorite go-to glue for anything paper-related is Aleene's Turbo Tacky Glue.

      Delete