Sunday, November 3, 2013

My Other Creations: Visonary Glasses

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge theme is "patchwork."  In my brain, patchwork equals quilts and quilts equal the two most amazing grandmas any girl could ever hope to have.  They were extraordinary women who made art out of nothing-- just bits and scraps that they saved as wars raged and the depression hit.  They lived through so many hard things, but they still left this world a more beautiful place through their creations of pottery and quilts and homemade dresses and embroidery.  My mom is the same way (how lucky am I?  She sewed me the sweetest prom dress ever and made me the most amazing quilt in the universe)!  

And so my project this week is a tribute to these women in my life.  I made "visionary glasses" to remind me of how they saw art everywhere.



I decided to try ICE resin, so I made a mold for the lenses of the glasses out of clay and then poured the resin inside.  After they dried, I stamped on a "curiosity" sentiment because I think art requires a good bit of curiosity...for better or worse!



I crafted the rest of the glasses out of wire and went to work on the collaged eyeglass case.  I attached some tissue dress pattern sections onto the case to honor how my mom and grandmas sewed beautiful clothes for themselves and their children.



I'm so grateful to the strong line of women I come from and for the legacy of beauty they've left behind.  They live on through their art (determination personified), which I truly cherish.

This project was a lot of fun to create and I got these products for it from Simon Says Stamp:




I know that YOU must have been inspired in some sort of patchwork-related way in your life!  Share your skills with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog and you could win fifty dreamy dollars to spend at Simon Says Stamp! 50dollar_voucher_600px

18 comments:

  1. Wow, what a creative project, I don't know if I ever saw anything quite like this! Visionary glasses -how inspiring! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea -- WOW!! My heart was touched by this project. I too have been touched by a heritage of strong women who women of vision and faith. They created because they had to and left behind some treasured pieces of themselves. They instilled in me a love of learning and an awe of the everyday journey. Beautiful make. Love the curiosity and muse on the classes. Amazing how you did the lenses!!!!! I thought you had just stamped on an old pair of glasses. Incredible. And the collaged case is the perfect companion piece for the glasses. It is quite obvious the legacy of strong, creative women continues in your family!! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea....YOU are insanely talented! :) Those glasses are amazing. When I first saw them, I figured you'd taken an old pair of glasses and just stamped on the lenses. But NO!! YOU MADE THEM! They are so very cool! I also adore the glasses case and the sweet way you've done your signature "look" with the fabric strips. I loved reading your blog post this week about your grandmothers and mother. That was so very sweet and reminded me of my own very creative and resourceful mother and grandmothers. I love your project! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you kidding me?!?!?!? How you consistently come up with such amazingness is just awe inspiring! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What everyone else said - your talent and imagination know NO end!!!! Seriously this is so incredible, and what a beautiful tribute to the strong women in your family. This might be one of my all time faves from you. Way to rock the challenge in your own unique way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a unique and stunning piece of art work, Andrea. I truly love your creativity and your work is always so lovely and inspirational. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun and creative project Andrea! Love the pretty color palette and patchwork!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant Andrea, I absolutely love how you were inspired by the women in your life . Your creativity knows no bounds. Love love,how,you used Ice Resin, a truly wonderful unique imaginative piece. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow o wow, Andrea! What a fabulous project! Love your own made glasses ! And what a great inspiring piece to those important women. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. This project is so cool. I love the direction you took with this theme. So wonderfully creative! And I love all of the little details. You amaze me, Andrea. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a creative genuis - this is cool, original and tells a story, which I particularly adore.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a pair of my mom's glasses that I wanted to do something special with. Wow! You've inspired me! I too came from good creative roots. My mom was Connie of Connie's Chicken Coup Patterns. We had a soft craft pattern company. The monthly door decorations was our signature thing. Ah, memories....guess that explains why I can sew better than all the girls I've dated (or married. lol!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing job! Your imagination is really out of the ordinary! wonderful and leads directly to the heart!Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tis is a fabulous project. I love the way you have made the glasses from scratch. What a wonderful way to remember all those women in your life. Maddy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Andrea, you come up with such interesting projects! Love your idea behind this, and the glasses are absolutely brilliant. The stamping is perfect and the case is so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool & thoughtful project! The idea behind it is so sweet :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought you had up-cycled an old pair of lenses and then I read you created them... I bow to your excellence! This is just a beautiful thought and design!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your very artsy take on the challenge. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete