Sunday, November 17, 2013

Tutorials: Christmas Tags with Wax and Dryer Sheets

I am quite biased since this week's theme for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog was my brilliant dad's idea (a total mystery buff), but haven't you loved everyone's interpretation of the "mystery" theme??  

For my project, I decided to go with a mysterious substance to make these Christmas tags:



I already gave it away in my post title, but the mysterious material is dryer sheets!  Oh  boy!  An actual fun reason to do laundry...sort of.  I've used dryer sheets before on projects, but had never combined them with wax.  So here's what I did to make these tags:

First, I got a used dryer sheet (they work much better if they've been run through the dryer a time or two), some ink, and a sponge.  I just sort of dabbed and rubbed ink onto the dryer sheet.


Next up, I laid the dryer sheet across different patterned papers to see which tag background would look best.  I ended up deciding to use some vintage Christmas music as my background.



I knew that I would also be incorporating wax into this project and wax can flake off, so you need to make sure whatever you're adding wax to is stable and sturdy so it won't bend and allow the wax to chip off.  My next step was to use a Tim Holtz tag die to cut out tag shapes.  I cut them out of the sheet music and out of a very thick chipboard.  I then glued the sheet music tags onto the chipboard tags for a solid base.



After my tags were good to go, I cut the dryer sheet in half and laid it across my tags.  I melted some beeswax in a melting pot and brushed it on top of the dryer sheet that was on top of the tag.  No need to adhere the dryer sheet to the tag because the wax sticks the dryer sheet to the tag for you.  I love the instant hazy ethereal look the melted wax added!



I wanted to add some more texture and pattern, so I smeared some white acrylic paint onto a polka dot stamp and stamped it on top of my tag.



But what to do for the focal point?  I wasn't done with the dryer sheets just yet!  I grabbed another used dryer sheet and sprayed it with Dylusions ink spritz in two different shades of green.  When that dried, I cut out some triangle shapes for trees and glued them onto my tag.  I liked how they were still sort of see-through.  You'll also notice that I trimmed the excess dryer sheet off the edges of my tag.



I thought the trees could still use some oomph, so I added some Ice Stickles and topped them off with some pearl embellishments.  Last but not least, I spelled out "fa la la" with some stickers and added them on then punched a hole through the top of the tag and added some yarns and fibers.


With my other tag background (why not make it easy on yourself and do multiples at the same time?) I made this second Christmas tag:


I always buy holiday twigs and sprigs (at Michaels, JoAnn's, etc.) at this time of year to use on Christmas projects and with wrapping jobs.  They are reasonably priced and add some great wow factor to your creations.



So there you have it!  Wax and dryer sheets and maybe a little too much time on my hands.  Be that as it may, I liked the finished results.  

Here are the fabulous materials I used for these projects that you can get at Simon Says Stamp:

 

While this week's mystery theme may stretch your brain a bit, I am so excited to see what you come up with!  I can't wait to check out your entries and just remember that you'll be entered to win 50 big bucks at Simon Says Stamp for submitting your creations to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog.


50dollar_voucher_600px

28 comments:

  1. how clever are you?! Seriously this is just the coolest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowowowow!! Such a gorgeous result! I stopped to use this stuff while ago, but I have to use it again! Gorgeous idea and wonderful tags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Never saw anything with wax before... have to let that one roll around in my cabeza. I am infatuated with your trees - they look so amazing with that texture. The entire tag(s) is gorgeous. Never would have guessed how you achieved that look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea....this is way cool! I love your dryer sheet idea. I just threw away several dryer sheets from doing laundry yesterday! Guess I'll have to go dig them out of the trash now! :) Your tags are so sweet. I love the hints of blue in the background yet the sheet music can so clearly be seen. I also love your little Christmas trees with the Stickles on them. So easy and yet so pretty! Your projects are always so inspiring. I love the uniqueness you bring to everything that you do! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh.. Andrea, this is so fun and fabulous! The dryer sheet and beeswax turned out fantastic! Love the beautiful textures on this tag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word!!!! I am so in love with this! Must try!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andrea, fantastic idea to use dryer sheets in your creative pieces. I love using Beeswax so this really appeals to me. I love the hazy look to your piece and those trees and twigs are gorgeous. Love how you used the sheet music in the background too. Fantastic unique pieces as always. Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome tags, Andrea! Love the use of the dryer sheet! Fabulous idea and tutorial!
    Thanks so much for your sweet words about my journal page. I was a little shy about posting it, but you totally understood what I meant!
    Big Hugs!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Andrea, these tags are fabulous!! Love the background and the use of the dryer sheet. We don't get dryer sheets here, but a friend of mine sent some for me, I still haven't used them. Thank you for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Love LOVE these tags!!! I love how you used the twigs and I love the backgrounds and the trees! Thank you for sharing the steps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE the finished results~it's magical!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all of the fun elements you've pulled together for these tags, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh wauw! This is such a great idea! I'm saving my dryer sheets as of now! Love both gorgeous tags! So cool! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Andrea, this is awesome! I never imagined that dryer sheets could look so cool. You made some fabulous tags with them. I'm glad you did this post. I've been wondering about the wax stuff, but I've been a scaredy cat about trying it. I was afraid that I'd burn the house down or something. This post may have talked me into trying it for myself soon. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw your post at Simons - wow! What a fabulous way to use dryer sheets - the tag is gorgeous, tfs x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Andrea! Your tags are AMAZING! I love the soft look that the dryer sheet gives and your choice of beautiful colors!! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. DRYER SHEETS?! Whaaaaaat? You're right I never would have guessed but I sure do love the outcome!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderfully, marvelous tags! TF sharing your techniques and steps. I thought the mystery might be using bubble pack somehow. Wow! Dryer sheets and bees wax. LOVE the designs and inking and the trees are amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous effect with the dryer sheet and wax! Lovely tags! I love the branches with the glittery finish. Brilliant idea for the challenge too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome technique, love the look! TFS :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have all my used dryer sheets ironed and ready to craft with. Your art is exemplary. I started out with The Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames, Perry Mason and all the ones you said. I love Sherlock. You tag is a brilliant work of art.. I like tags and intend to CASE this as a learning experience if that is ok with you. Thank you so much for sharing. Blessing's Carole

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love, love, love the pieces and techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, I have never heard of dryer sheets (I live in parched Queensland where we use dryers only a few times a year). I love how you find all sorts of unconventional goodies to use in your projects. It's very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cool! Absolutely cool! your tags are absolutely wonderful and ,as always, unusual ! I love all details and love much the colour palette you used! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love, love, love the way this dryer sheet technique and can't wait to try it out. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So creative - love your mystery ingredient! Both tags are great, but that second tag with the sprigs and sprays is absolutely beautiful! Big thanks to your dad for a fantastically inspiring theme.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  27. So much great inspiration from you projects.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Andrea -- you have my utmost apologies for not getting here earlier. I've been fighting illness and fatigue. That does not mean that I haven't been by to stare in awe of your tags (and I pinned them as soon as I saw them). Your Dad's mystery idea was right on target !!!! So cool. What an absolute brilliant idea! I love the transparent-feel that you get from the bees wax and dryer sheet. And the stickles and pearl on the layered trees sent your tag over the top for me. Unbelievable genius Andrea!!!!! I don't have wax melting capabilities yet. When I do ... this will be the first thing I try :) -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete