Saturday, November 9, 2013

Tutorials: Painted Washi Tag

Hello friends!  You know I love a good painted Washi project, so here's a tag I recently made featuring a fabulous stamp from Unity Stamp Co.


I started with a deliciously tall and sturdy tag from Prima and covered it with vertical strips of Washi tape, mostly Recollections brand (which you can purchase at Michaels).


Next I added some white Gesso and teal acrylic paint.


When my background was dry, it was just a matter of adding some stamped images (the white stamped polka dots are heat embossed) and a scrap of paper or two.  The central image is a "Be Free" birdcage from Unity Stamp Co. I also punched out some butterflies using a Martha Stewart punch and folded them for a bit of dimension.  I inked heavily around the edges with Tim Holtz's Walnut Stain and Black Soot distress inks.



Last but not least, my favorite finishing touch: picking the right ribbon, yarn, and lace for the top.  I buy fun-looking skeins of yarn as often as I can because it's a lot more economical than buying specialty "fiber packs" that only have a foot or two of each kind of ribbon.

Here is the finished product with yarns and ribbons attached!


Washi's such a great little product and I love the semi-translucent bit of oomph it adds to the background of any project.

12 comments:

  1. oh wow LOVE LOVE the way this turned out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Tag and it must be fate that I just purchased the same rooster washi tape. Love the yarn ribbon you created. It is the pretty finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the whole look and the great way to use some of those many rolls of washi tape. Love the effect. Great choice of yarns too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! This is amazingly beautiful. One day I will do work like that ;) Thank you for your loverly comments on my blog, it made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea...this is such an amazing tag. Thanks for the step by step. I totally love the transformation from the brighter washi tape backgrounds to the soft gesso and teal base. Those stamped polka dots look fabulous! And...your vintage bird cage in the center with the two little die cut/dimensional butterflies is so super sweet. Love it! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrea, gorgeous tag, love the Washi Tape backdrop. I love the application of acrylic/gesso to lighten the area. The cage is a lovely addition too and I love the dimensional butterflies which add wonderful movement. Looking forward to seeing your step by steps on SSS blog on Wednesday. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea love love love this tag! wonderful technique, original as always! barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your tag, Andrea!! Thanks for the tutorial of how you created this! I'm with you on buying yarn/fibers in bulk instead of those pricey little packs! The fibers you chose are perfect!! Hugs, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. SUPER FABULOUS tag Andrea - LOVE, LOVE the layers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just brilliant! Love the painted washi... it looks so cool!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just awesome. I love yourk work and I'm a follower on pinterest. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete