Sunday, February 16, 2014

Tutorials: Make Your Own Silhouette Template

The theme over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog this week is "cameo," whether that be a traditional cameo silhouette shape or a different interpretation (like when someone does a surprise "cameo" appearance in a movie).  As I thought about cameos, I got to wondering if those classy heads every wanted to sprout some legs and escape the confines of the broach, necklace or frame they were trapped inside.  So I decided to expand the idea of a cameo to a full silhouette for this week's project.  And I made the silhouette template myself.  I'll show you how easy it is to do:



There are already some great silhouette templates/stencils and stamps on the market, but it's also quite entertaining to make some of your own.

Start by flipping through magazines until you find a human in a shape that would make an interesting silhouette.  Here's the picture I found, which was from a Bluefly ad in an old magazine:



Make sure that the silhouette you choose has plenty of open space between the arms, etc.  Remember that the only part that will show is the outline, so you want to ensure that the shape will be recognizable as a human.

Cover both sides of the magazine picture with clear packing tape.  This gives it stability and will allow you to paint or stamp over it, if desired.


Once you've taped over the image, cut it out and see how it looks.  I like my silhouettes to be a little more cartoony, so when I cut out this girl, I trimmed off a little extra to make her look more doll-like and less realistic.  I also rounded out her head where her hat was (since I didn't want her to look like a box head), and I also removed her purse to further simplify the shape.



Tuh-da!  Now you have a perfect template that you can either trace around or that you can use as a mask to paint over, etc.  And because it's encased in packing tape, it's good for several uses.

Next I began on the background.  I used heavy watercolor paper and started layering on Washi tape and scraps of patterned paper.



I added some smears of acrylic paint and Tim Holtz Distress paint and when it was dry, I spritzed on some Dylusions ink spray in Cut Grass, Funky Fuchsia and Vibrant Turquoise.



I stamped on some background polka dots and reverse polka dots with a homemade stamp.  I also repeated the word "dream" with a Tim Holtz stamp and stamped out a great quote by Helen Keller.  I added some black gesso to the outer edge of my paper to create the look of a frame.


Lastly, I traced my stencil girl onto some patterned paper.  To make her stand out even more, I added some shadowing with ink and drew around her edges with a black Sharpie.  I made her some wings out of paper that I inked up, sewed "graph lines" on and then dissolved in various sections for a tattered look.  I attached them to my background and used 3D dots to secure the silhouette:



And here she is as the finished product.  And all because I felt bad for body-less cameo heads!



There are so many great products I used to bring this piece to life, which you can find at that store we all know and love-- Simon Says Stamp:




So what clever cameo ideas will you think up this week?  Do share your genius with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog because it's always wonderful to see what you create and you also get a chance to win $50 of Simon Says Stamp store credit!  Yipee!!

50dollar_voucher_600px

23 comments:

  1. Adore all the color - and loved reading your process (as always) as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Fab colors, great design work. Thank you for the tutorial! Love the cameo with arms and legs image you created!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab-u-lous and thank you for stopping by mine and leaving such a sweet comment on my "A Little bit of Love" art journal page, really appreciate it :)
    hugs and xxx
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the tape trick! Wonderful colors and design, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to use magazine girls as stencils and alter them a bit to your liking! Love your colourful piece! You're such a colorful person! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant idea, I love the silhouette and your backdrop is perfect to showcase the silhouette. Love the pop of colour. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea...you are so clever. Love your quick tutorial on making your own silhouette. That was awesome! I also love your sprayed colors, the runs, the patterns, the whole darned thing! The washi tape also makes a very neat background....it looks like fabric! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Cool idea for a template and the bright palette is right up my alley!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun idea Andrea!! Love the great colours and your idea about the silhouette. Fabulous repetition of the word 'dream'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh!
    You are brilliant! I love this! So colorful! And I like the boho vibe. This looks like so much FUN to do. And you've achieved such wonderfully fun and artistic results. Thanks for sharing your process. I know that I'll be trying this out sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea...

    Oh my GOSH - I can't imagine how fun this must have been to make... it was certainly worth every ounce of effort you poured into it. Magnificent, that's the word that comes to mind.

    Blessings,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks as if you had FUN! I LOVE the way you interpreted the theme cameo! Still 'struggling' on mine..:).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great page! Love the attitude pose of your chosen girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! This is such a wonderful piece of art and such a cool interpretation of the theme!! I love the colours and the background is just perfect for the silhouette!! A really great page Andrea... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simply too cool for school! The silhouette looks amazing especially with the paper you chose for her... a favourite quote of mine too, and fabulous colours. Love, love this!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fantastic. I LOVE the technique - such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your color palette, always so vibrant, you know that I love the transparency that usually create through the different layers! I pinned this work before to comment on it because it is really one of my favorites of yours! the idea of the shape is really brilliant! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this idea! So clever and I am now going to be on the lookout for silhouettes that I want to use! Beautiful as always design! The colors shout out in beautiful cohesion!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow... this is so fun and great idea to create the silhouette template, Andrea. I also love the beautiful background patterns you created. Fabulous design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I love your page, and love how you made your own template. I may try, if I find any old magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So pretty Andrea! Love the colorful inky background and your homespun silhouette!

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is way to cool Andrea..I love how you used the article for your design...I would never of thought...thanks for the tutorial and inspiration...and I'm going to try this...

    Hugs
    Nancy T.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just love how you developed these layers and the colors you used. You've made me want to give silhouettes a try.

    ReplyDelete