Sunday, February 2, 2014

My Cards and Tags: Love Letter

Ah, love letters!  Such a perfect theme for February and for us English majors and librarians who go goofy over sonnets and eloquent verse!  So of course, for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, I made a mini love letter with a little Longfellow thrown in.



The Webster's Pages "Postcards from Paris II" line is perfect for all things whimsically romantic.  Their collection includes mini craft bags which make the absolute perfect sleeve for tags.  With these lovely bags already made, half your project is done!

And here's the inside tag, which features the epic words of Longfellow, as promised.  I typed it out on an old typewriter of my dad's to keep with the idea of "love letters" and how people used to actually use typewriters and paper (gasp!) to communicate feelings!



"The dawn is not distant, nor is the night starless; love is eternal."  Can you hear me sighing happily?  This is the quote that my husband and I put on our wedding announcements, so it always has a special place in my heart (as does he-- I'm basically the luckiest woman ever to have him in my life).

I attached the flower to the tag instead of the bag just so that the tag would retain some "visual oomph" when it came out of the bag.  I used the Avery Ellle Embellish It Flower Die to make this rose, which I then glued on top of a Prima flower.  This die is unique in that it presents a new way to assemble 3D flowers (separate petals assembled with a brad as opposed to a long spiral that you twist into your flower shape).



Lastly, you may notice I used a heart pin.  I didn't figure it would be very romantic to have someone get stabbed on my tag, so I always snip off the tip of pins and then sand it down.  It doesn't make the pin totally blunt, but it does help make it safer.

Here are some of the fantabulous supplies I used on this project, which you can get at Simon Says Stamp:




Now I just know that all you crafty folks out there have a multitude of ideas on how to interpret "love letters," so get crafting and submit your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog.  Why?  To spread some creative love, of course!  And you could win $50 to the Simon Says Stamp store just by entering.  That's what I call sweet!
50dollar_voucher_600px 

21 comments:

  1. I adore the quote, this will be perfect for your husband and how lovely using the quote in your artwork. Striking design, colours and flower. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Tracy..I love this quote as well. Your DH will absolutey adore this card..I to love your papers and how you put everyting together. And your flower is the perfect addition...I also wanted to say thank you for stopping by my blog and for such kind words..thank you..you are so sweet.

    Hugs
    Nancy T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic design, I thought how beautiful it was and then the tag popped out and then the charming poetry hidden inside added that extra wow. Charming and elegant tag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a sweet love letter! Andrea. I love the beautiful flower on the tag. The sentiment is wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful love letter, with a perfect quote for your husband...the whole project has such a romantic feel to it and it's just wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful project Andrea! Love the quote you used, gorgeous flower and the colours. Great tip about the heart pin, I am often reluctant to use pins because of the sharp points.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so pretty Andrea! Love the beautiful patterned paper and that flower is STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, Andrea! Love the poetry! The papers are so pretty and so it the flower! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really pretty, Andrea. The perfect expression of "love letters".
    I was pretty excited to see how you made that flower. I usually don't "do" flowers, but I really like that look. A die, huh? You sold me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous tag & tag bag!! I love the design :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Andrea -- catching up on my blog reading after being slowed down for awhile. This is gorgeous. Oh ... and I love the longfellow. I really love this week's theme at SSS Monday Challenge. I hope I have some time to play this week! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant Longfellow quote, and such a pretty tag and pocket - words and pictures - what more could a woman want?!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whenever I read this quote, I think of you and the mister. Brilliant idea to pull out the ol' typewriter; this is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful quote, beautiful design and colors! The old typewriter has been a wonderful idea, a touch of genius! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hullo Andrea,

    Your project is so romantic and vintage. Love the quote - had not heard it before.

    Blessings,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW...this is gorgeous~gorgeous~gorgeous!!!!! Who wouldn't love a love letter like this...so romantic!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really beautiful! The flower is very very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Andrea...I am a bit slow on my commenting this week. Shame on me! Your pocket tag is gorgeous. I love the soft colors and the shabby distressing you've done on this. Love that sweet flower and sentiment! That touch of lace at the bottom gives your tag a very romantic feeling. I also love the addition of the wrapped twine to your very sweet envelope pocket. As always, your work is so beautifully crafted. Love your work! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  19. another wonderfully lovely and creative piece!!!

    ReplyDelete