Sunday, June 1, 2014

My Other Creations: Altered Face Cards

I'm not a big fan of clowns (no offense to any clowns out there--they just hold a high creep factor for me), but I've always thought magicians were cool.  Even though I'm fully aware that a magician's goal is to deceive me, I'm okay with that.  I always think I'm smart enough to figure out a magician's tricks, but my husband and I saw a live David Copperfield show several years ago and I'm still shaking my head over it!

When this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge theme was magic, the first thing I thought of were face cards-- a magician's staple!  I decided to alter a few of them and here's how they turned out:


I started out by coating some face cards with Gesso.  I liked how the numbers and symbols looked, so I left them showing through to various degrees.  Even then, it took about four layers of Gesso to get them to this point!


I let the Gesso dry overnight and then I painted over them with streaks of acrylic paint.  Next I sprayed them with several different colors of Dylusions ink.



After that, it was just a matter of building scenes on top of the cards.  I used fabric scraps, Washi, stamps and ink to create the layers, then added some cute collaged kids on the front.



I decided to make them sort of like alphabet flashcards, hence the words on each one.  I got the words out of some vintage books that were falling apart.







I thoroughly enjoyed this project and used many fabulous supplies from Simon Says Stamp to create them:




This theme was a lot of fun and I can't wait to see what you do for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge project!  Be sure to upload your fabulous creations and you could win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store.  Plus you will highly entertain and inspire many when you share your projects, so don't be afraid to give it a whirl! 50dollar_voucher_600px

19 comments:

  1. Beautifully vibrant cards Andrea and wonderful designs and images. I love the altered effects of the numbers and original card showing through creating such great depth to the layers and overall design. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your picture cards! The images are so whimsical with the fun objects and then the colors are just wow! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this style and when I played on ATCforall for a while I loved to collect these. Not something I could ever get the hand of. Mine just looked a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fabulous Andrea! Another great idea by you. Love the images you used and the fun little words. I agree with you on clowns, I think it might have been reading Stephen King's It that messed up clowns forever for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. this is so creative and awesome, Andrea. Love all the beautiful colors and images. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet another fantastic idea, I adore how you can still see the playing cards below the images and Gesso. I adore your images and use of colour. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Andrea! What a fun and creative magical set of cards! I love the variety of colors and images that you used! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun cards! Love the bright colors & cute faces :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow these are so cool, Andrea! I love how you incorporate fabric in lots of your projects! And the vibrant colors really make my happy! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea your "altered cards" are magic!!! Wonderful work, I adore the colors you've used and the images are perfect for this challenge! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea, these are darling! Love the little images that you chose, the colors and each and every embellishment. They would be super fun to create!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I see a Tim Holtz (signature) z ... and the first three cards are just delicious. My kitty likes the last one best. I know what you mean about so many coats of gesso just to cover as I tried this once and had the same experience. Who knew? This adorable set would look great framed as a wall display in a nursery. It's a lovely idea with superb execution. P.S. Clowns also creep me out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...wow...WOW!! Andrea, these are absolutely stunning ~ beautiful, bold and bright and I adore the images against those wonderful backgrounds...just fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Magic cards! What a clever idea! Yes, every magician has a few aces up his sleeve, but none are as fabulous as these babies. I love the inky backgrounds you created. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. these are just so fun and whimsical!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the bold colors and magical scenes you created on your playing cards/ATC's. I'll need to try these sometime. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a fun bold project! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are fabulous, Andrea!! Your work is always awesome and I think its just getting more interesting every year. Love these. Also, thanks for stopping in at my blog. That was a nice surprise!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I m not familiar with your work - what lovely creations! I am no good at all with this style. but your examples are an encouragement. The vivid colors combined with muted ones, and the mixture of textures and "ingredients" is great.
    I want to thank you for the very kind words on my card - what a thoughtful comment and so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete