Sunday, January 18, 2015

My Other Creations: Polka Dotty Notebook

This week's theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog is Winter Stamping.  I decided to deconstruct one of my favorite dies, Tim Holtz's Snowman, and turn those fluffy white snowman circles into stamped-on polka dots for the cover of my notebook.


Using white watercolor paper, I started by cutting out two sets of snowman circles.  I love the asymmetry of these! 


Next I used Ranger Jet Black Archival ink to stamp some of my favorite text patterns onto the circles.


Out came the Distress Inks, which I rubbed onto the circles with a sponge (though a mini ink blending tool also works great).  I got out my black Gesso and a brush and I outlined the circles after I'd inked them.


I prepared my notebook cover by painting it, inking it, stamping on it and drizzling Distress Paint down it.


I decided to add a thicker layer of black Gesso around my circles, then I attached them to my notebook cover and wah-la!  Snowman re-purposed!  


To make the notebook, I used the Lifestyle Crafts Pocket Scrap Starter Die set to cut out what felt like eighty million sheets of white paper (not for those who fear monotony)!  I used the Cinch machine and a Cinch wire spiral to bind it all together.

Another fun element that I played with on this project was Dyan Reaveley's "Say it How it Is" stamp set.  The sentiment I put on the front of the notebook doesn't exist, but I took words from her other sentiments and invented my own sentence.  My nerdy English side loves to mix and switch words around.

You can make your own notebooks and snowman polka dots if you have these supplies, which are readily available from Simon Says Stamp:



I can't wait to see your interpretation of our theme!  Just upload your masterpiece to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog to inspire the rest of us and to enter yourself into the drawing for a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store.


http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

20 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea, thank you so much for leaving such an encouraging comment on my blog, you really made my day :) I have loved your projects and the vibrant colors you use, Happy to connect :)
    http://kalasirjana.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea...your creativity NEVER ceases to amaze me!!! Who would think of using Tim's snowman to make such adorable polka dots on the front of a journal?? This is too cute!! I love your bright colors and your paint runs. Your art always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Striking design! Love that you used the snowman for your pops of colors and word in your design. Beautiful bold journal page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. Best use for a snowman I've seen this side of xmas. Was a little dismayed with the theme this week. I don't want to be in the middle of winter! I'm in the spring mode. So glad to see your snow rebellion. Going to look at my winter stash and see if it can be re-purposed. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! I loved seeing all the details that you created to put together your fantastic page!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool, Andrea! You made the circles of snowman so bold and bright! Love it! The sentiment is so true! You are fabulous! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very creative way to stretch your winter dies with some fun texture and pops of color, Andrea! I love it!!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning work! You know that I admire so much your creativity! this is an example of this! So original, so vibrant, so beautiful! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the beautiful cover you created, Andrea. Such a brilliant to deconstruct the snowman to a fabulous polka dots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea...me again. :) I wanted to congratulate you on the beautiful folio you made for Tim's Ideaology booth at CHA. I had seen that lovely folio and thought it might be you because of the lovely colors, etc. but there was no name attached to the project. I is on Paula's blog today and saw that you made it. I am doing a happy dance for you! Glad that you are getting recognition for such a lovely piece and that those who did not attend CHA are able to see it. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun project Andrea! Great mix of colors and all the wonky circles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well isn't this just lots of fun? Way to think outside the snowman. Thanks for the inspiration Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, SO clever and such a wonderful use of the snowman die ~ I just totally adore this piece and as always, your work is so vibrant, unique and just absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pops of color and circle theme works just perfectly. I love the looseness of it all, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never would've known that you began with a mild-mannered snowman for this project. I love this! The bright, funky dots are over-the-top awesome.
    One of my very favorite projects.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great idea Andrea! And you are right the assymetry of those circles is great. Love the colours, drips and stamping.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tutorial. Love the saturated colors.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tutorial. Love the saturated colors.

    ReplyDelete