Sunday, July 5, 2015

My Other Creations: Cardboard Tea Cup Pen Holder

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge theme is, "Coffee or Tea?"  Given that choice, I'd choose hot chocolate every time, but that's the chocoholic in me talking.  Be that as it may, I do adore teacups for any tasty beverage and thought I'd make one into a pen holder.


What I really needed for this project was one of those Sizzix dies that already makes a dimensional teacup, but since I didn't have one handy, I had to figure out how to turn a flat teacup into some sort of receptacle.  I started with the teacup image, which I got from a Mama Elephant stamp set called, "Warm Wishes."  It was way too small for my needs, so I stamped the image then enlarged it using a copy machine.


Next I covered the cup with scraps of patterned paper and fabric and smudged on some Distress Ink.


I colored in a second teacup, then cut them both out and mounted them on chipboard to add some sturdiness.  I also added a girl from Tim Holtz's Found Relatives card set and a sentiment from Dina Wakley's Scribbly Women stamp set.  I attached her to the front teacup.  I also cut and assembled two matchboxes using the Tim Holtz matchbox die.
 

All that was left was to glue it all together like a sandwich.  I glued the matchboxes together, then glued a teacup to the front and another one to the back.  I added a tea bag using a stamp from Prima and my teacup pen holder was done!


Here are the supplies I used, which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:


What are your thoughts on coffee and/or tea?  I can't wait to see how you express them in your projects.  There are so many fun coffee and tea-themed supplies on the market right now.  Upload your project to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 gift voucher to the Simon Says Stamp Store.
http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

22 comments:

  1. Dear Andrea I LOVE your new creation! The idea to make a tea cup pen holder is really great and the result is awesome! Also the girl from Tim Holtz's Found Relatives looks so so cute! I love it when the creations can stand on your desk and give you joy just by staring at them! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable image and I love the creative matchbox holders sandwiched in between! Love the pretty colors! A lovely addition to anyone's desk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that one is fantastic idea to make pen holder with coffee theme. your colors are always to die for. Thanks so much for inspiration, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute (and how clever to think of enlarging). Love your fabric scraps which are so inspiring but I always forget about using them. Thanks for a great reminder of how effective they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the papers and colors on your cup! Thanks for sharing your tip about enlarging, I never thought about that. The little girl is a perfect way to top it off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea this is such an adorable creation, brimming over with sweetness.
    I too would opt for a hot chocolate as I am not a tea/coffee drinker but chocolate on hold for the moment (as I persevere with an elimination diet!).
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well look at that Andrea! So super lovely idea and layout too - TFS and thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely and delightful comment - you are the comment queen - you made my day - thanks a bunch and your art is top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable pen holder, Andrea! I love the bit of fabric addition to it to add some extra texture :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your project is so imaginative, creative and fun. As always, you think outside of the box. Your pen and pencil holder is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea, this is brilliant! I love how you figured out how to create your own teacup, and a lovely one it is! Your little girl sitting on it is the perfect touch...and you are unstoppable!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What incredible project is this? Brilliant!!!!!! Love you idea to make a 3D cup! Wonderful! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this is super cute, Andrea. Love the great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh Andrea! This is so cool! Love the lovely girl on the edge of the cup! So fun! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally and utterly adorable, Andrea! This is so beautiful and so clever...wonderful work, as always and I absolutely adore it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fun project Andrea! It inspires me to make something similar for my daughter's college desk--thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so clever and amazing!! Love how you created the holder. Beautiful and creative project!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so clever and amazing!! Love how you created the holder. Beautiful and creative project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great idea for a 3D project Andrea! Love your use of the matchbox die. The little girl and that sentiment also goes together so well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so stinking smart- copy machines and match boxes. You're like MacGyver with ink and scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a nifty design! Great idea, Andrea. And your new little helper is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is brilliant and very adorable, love it Andrea!

    ReplyDelete