Sunday, July 12, 2015

My Other Creations: Travel Tins

Get ready for total creative freedom because this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge theme is Anything Goes!  You know I'm going to go for the fabric whenever I can, and since July is prime road trip time, I decided to make some travel tins to celebrate some of my favorite destinations.


I started out by aging my tins, which I purchased here and which came as bright shiny silver.  I roughed them up with the Tim Holtz sanding block then added a mix of acrylic paint in shades of teal, blue, and dark brown.  While they dried, I glued some fabric scraps together and started to draw and stamp some images on them.  I drew the British phone booth, then masked it and stamped some more London buildings behind it using a Paper Artsy stamp set.


After my images was drawn, I sewed around the main one with a sewing machine and black thread.  Then I colored it in using Memento Luxe ink applied to pointy-tipped cotton swabs.  Memento Luxe ink is made specifically with fabric use in mind, so the colors stay beautifully vibrant.  I stamped out the sentiment using alphabet stamps and sewed around each word, then cut them out and adhered them to my background.


I made the second tin the same way, by drawing the Parliament building, stamping behind it, then coloring it in with Memento Luxe ink.  I also added some French Knot flowers to represent the gorgeous blooms and hanging baskets in Victoria.


I stamped out the sentiment, sewed around each word, cut them out, adhered them to the background and was done.  Not sure what I'll do with these tins, but they make me happy because they remind me of places near and dear to my heart.


Here are the supplies I used that you can find at Simon Says Stamp:
 


With wide open theme of Anything Goes, there's no excuse not to share your geniusness!  Upload your projects to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge for your change to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store.

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

15 comments:

  1. Your work with fabric is unprecedented. These little boxes contain a lot of joy. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh... What is not to love about these masterpieces! The french knot flowers were just a wow for me! These are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad these tins don't work sort of like voodoo dolls where say, for example, you put a token inside and next thing you know you're standing in the middle of Chelsea. These tins do look magical and remind me of Hens Teeth, a blogger that lives in Staffordshire. So toss in a few more tokens and tell her I said hi then head out for the Royal Academy to see Joseph Cornell's exhibit. And of course you must make me a tin so I can go too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These tins are great! Beautiful work and such creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to go! These turned out beautifully! love how you worked on the fabric, it adds great texture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so fun and creative! Love your great inspiration, Andrea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for your visit and kind words Andrea; I so enjoyed seeing this work for the new challenge. Such wonderful use of mixed media in these tins has shown me a very good reason why I have been saving those fabric scraps I have squirreled away...I must bring them to life! Your eye for detail--love the fringed frames of the quotes fabric--truly inspires.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool travel tins! Love this idea! :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Andrea! These tins look amazing! I sure wish they were magical so you could travel to those places whenever you want! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful Andrea, perfect little pieces of art with so much joy encompassed in them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are little arty boxes are so full of joy and magic and capture the feel of my wonderful hometown perfectly. I just adore them Andrea ~ they're absolutely magical!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are amazing! Love all the stitching detail! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Andrea,

    Thank you so much for visiting me this week at Create With Joy! I wanted to return the visit and I just LOVE your artwork!

    Each week I host two parties - Inspire Me Monday and Friendship Friday - where I also feature bloggers and their creations.

    I'd love for you to join us and be a part of our creative community!

    Have a lovely weekend! :-)

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are wonderful Andrea! Love your fabric scenes and the stamped sentiments. Gorgeous colours and what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are incredible! Genius, lovely altered tin!

    ReplyDelete