Monday, February 15, 2016

My Other Creations: Watercoloring on Book Pages

http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
Recycle Style is the theme for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.  So what better reason to pilfer old paper relics from your parents?  I actually love the art styles of "yesteryear."   When my mom was weeding out some of her old sewing books, I snatched this one up in a hurry and had a wonderful time painting some of the black and white images.

  
 These pictures started out in black and white, like so:

  
I colored them in with my trusty watercolors, then when the paint dried, I smeared on some Distress Ink to give the color more pow in certain areas.



I also added some stenciling to the background, just to give the images another little bit of oomph.


And last but not least, I added some inspiring words made from Tim Holtz's Big Chat sticker set.

It was highly soothing to spend some time coloring inside the lines-- especially when the lines had already been drawn by someone else (Linda Pascual, according to the illustration credits).

   
Here are the supplies I used for my project, which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:




I'm excited to see your Recycle Style!  Be sure to upload your projects to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp Store.
https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
   
https://simonsaysstamp.com/

28 comments:

  1. Fabulous recycling Andrea!! I LOVE that you used old sewing pattern magazines, very original and the finished look is AWESOME!!! LOVE them, I would frame them actually!! :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! You found GOLD! These are awesome... These gals have been waiting for you to add new fabric for 40 years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome, Andrea! What a great idea for some old sewing book pages. My grandmother left me a box of old sewing patterns and your project has inspired me to get them out and use them in a unique way. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome, Andrea! What a great idea for some old sewing book pages. My grandmother left me a box of old sewing patterns and your project has inspired me to get them out and use them in a unique way. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your creations! I actually have some old pattern envelopes that you've given me an idea to try to locate for this challenge. Your watercolor technique is gorgeous, I love all the blending and the stencils.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I just love these so much! So lucky to have gotten your hands on these beauties! I love how you watercolored them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea, this is AWESOME!!!!! Very unique!
    I really enjoy the way you colored these vintage pages, you definitely gave them a new life!
    hugs Zoey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrea, you are brilliant! How fortuitous to be there to snatch it out of the bin, so you could create these little beauties! Love what you did on the book pages, and sounds like you had a lot of fun doing it. How are we ever going to throw stuff away now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this!! These are beautiful images and then to give them life with color-FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous recycling Andrea! These are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally stunning, Andrea!! Your coloring is magnificent!!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp

    ReplyDelete
  12. What can I say? I 'm in awe! this is one of the most brilliant recycle! Your unique style is fantastic applied over this old book! Your coloring it's stunning as always! BArbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Andrea! These look amazing! What a bit of color can do! Love that you've given them a background too. So pretty! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are to die for. Beautiful work, Andrea!
    I have been a crappy friend for not staying in touch. I was pretty sick earlier, but I'm feeling much better now and I can return to stalking your page. :)
    Have a creative day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andrea! These are amazing! Such bold, graphic style, and I adore your simple, sticker phrases!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a treasure to find!! I've got to go looking in my mom's sewing stash too. Love the colours, text and all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun and gorgeous creation, Andrea. Love the beautiful colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you colored these Andrea. So cool.

    Thank you for your wonderful comments on my blog.
    hugs,
    teresa

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the retro fashion illustrations and the "oomph" of color you gave them. They would look great framed too, to add a touch of glamour to a room. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Andrea...what can I say about this project?!? It is so, so clever and totally inspirational ~ I love it and the colours are just stunning! A great piece of recycling... :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great project! I love the Vintage images. Just enough touch of color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm fallen in love with these altered vintage images!Really nice project and nice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You and your mom are so cool. That red hair color is SPOT on!! I love these so much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow. I absolutely love these.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous! Those images look familiar and I'm wondering me or my sister owned it at one point in time. Both of use learned how to sew at age 9. Would you happen to know the name of the book. I've been stalking your pages for hours now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sande! I admire anyone who can actually sew! And age 9 no less! That's amazing! The book I found these pictures in is more like a thick magazine. It has a soft-cover and is 112 pages. It's called, "The How-to-fit Book" and it is published by McCall's. It has a copyright date of 1973. Hope that helps!

      Delete