Monday, April 4, 2016

My Other Creations: Altered Board Book

This week's theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog is, "Try to Resist."  It's all about using materials that resist each other.  And we're also focusing on Ranger products, so I went to town with Dina Wakley's heavy acrylic paint, which I adore.  I built much of my altered board book using a ton of paint and Washi tape, which are a favorite resist combo of mine.


I loved the structure of this perfectly fine board book (pictured below in its original state) because of all the tabs and inset pages inside.


I peeled off all of the pictures (and as an eternal librarian, don't think that didn't pain my conscience just a smidge) until the whole thing was white.


I started painting, Gesso-ing, and layering up book text, patterned paper, fabric, stamping, Washi, die cuts, etc.  Almost all of the sentiments came from a book.


Here are some pictures of the interior:



 And with the flap open:



And another set of pages:

  
Quite an entertaining project and  I just hope the literary gods will forgive me for re-purposing a perfectly healthy board book!  Live on, little board book!  Live on!

Here are the supplies I used on my book, which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:



So how will you "try to resist" this week?  Can't wait to see your interpretations and creations!  Be sure to upload them to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/
    

14 comments:

  1. Fabulous project Andrea, the colours and all the details are beautiful and I love how you altered the book and I am sure the literary gods will forgive you ;-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful project! I have not tried this resist technique - lovely look of the book Thanks for sharing your fabulous art work! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous gorgeous a treat to d eyes - specially liked d texture fabric added to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see how that book called out to you for alteration with its interesting tabs and cubbies. Symbolic too, in the sense that a baby's book now provides simple and soft encouragement to a more mature audience. I'm sure it was a pleasure to create. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were a Literary God I would praise you! What a project!!! So unique and clever. The colors and designs are wonderful. You do have a way with paint and gesso and creativity! FANTASTIC!!! I love those tabs too, see why you were drawn to it. TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool book, Andrea! Loving the multi-colored butterfly on the cover!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brill!! Love how you took the kids book and reimagined it, Andrea! The fabric additions add a really nice texture on your pages. Yep, and I was wondering how you felt taking a book apart...I really struggled the first time I did one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Andrea your altered book is amazing...love all the detail and beautiful textures...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous project, Andrea! Fabulous idea to peel off the top layer! You've added some amazing texture! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your fun and beautiful creation, Andrea. Such a clever design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore the soft colors of your altered board book, Andrea! I love all the layers, they make this book so pretty and the design is genius. Cathie <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pure genius!You know how to turn anything into a project Andrea's style ! This mini baby book is a perfect sample! Delicate and joyful at the same time! Beautiful project!Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous project and a real treat for the eyes ~ this is genius, Andrea and such a clever, clever idea! I have so much love for this, it's gorgeous... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book is so beautiful Andrea! I love it. And all the textures and text. I wish I could look though it in real life. It also reminded me about a board book that I bought years ago with the purpose of altering it, I better go find it!

    ReplyDelete