Monday, March 13, 2017

My Other Creations: Houses Using Tim Holtz's Tiny Houses Die

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday theme is "Handmade Flowers."  I made some flowers out of Tim Holtz's crinkle ribbon and added them as embellishments to these two little houses:


I started by coloring some crinkle ribbon, which is easily done with Distress Ink and/or Distress Stain.  I like to dab ink directly onto my craft mat, spray the ink with a bit or water, then wipe it up with my ribbon.  To create sections of ribbon with greater color intensity, I dab Distress Stain right onto it in a few places.  


I have a clip tool from Stampendous that I use to do any sort of spiral-wrapping, though a quilling tool would also work well.  I clipped the end of the ribbon, then spun it in a circle to form the flower shape.


Once I had the flower shape I wanted, I glued the end of the ribbon down with hot glue.  Then I went to work on the houses.  I did some stenciling and stamping on the house components before assembling them.  


I added some more stamping, some white paint over the top, some bits of patterned paper, a strip of washi, and the flowers with green yarn for the stems. 


Being the remedial math person that I am, I hoped the assembly of these houses wouldn't be too complicated with lots of tricky angles, etc.  But they were really easy to put together. I also trimmed the roof pieces down a bit so there wasn't as much of an overhang on the sides.  I like the ease and versatility of these dies and they're already among my Tim Holtz favorites.


I found this "good house" sentiment in an old book and tacked in on to finish up this project. I always love an iconic house shape and these were a fun project!  

Here are the supplies I used that you can find at Simon Says Stamp:



I'm excited to see all of your glorious floral creations, so be sure to upload your projects to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp Store!

16 comments:

  1. Andrea these houses are sooo pretty!! Love how colorful they are and your ribbon flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the vibrant colour on your project, so refreshing. The diy distressed inked crinkle ribbon flowers are simply magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I would recognize your projects everywhere for their crazy colors and patterns and freshness! Love the houses! It's the first time I see flowers made with ribbons. What a clever idea! Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, your crinkle ribbon flowers are so pretty! I love them. Love all your bright cheery colors as always and those houses are so fun. I can't wait to play with them.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your little houses, so pretty! And I adore the way you made your flowers, so beautiful and colorful! I have seem binding ribbon that I could color and heat set, which makes it crinkle too! You have just inspired me to make some of these flowers too! Thank you! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous ribbon flowers, Andrea! Love your delightful homes with their bright colors full of bits and pieces and designs. I foresee a village coming! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love... happy houses!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. super cute little houses Andrea :-) I love how you used the ribbon the make the flowers, absolutely gorgeous :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your vibrant little houses are so sweet and those little ribbon flowers are adorable ~ I'm definitely going to have to make some of those, they really are so pretty and effective! Lovely project as always, Andrea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bright houses are fabulous! you know i love your way to use scraps of paper and white color! This project is fabulous and so energetic, makes me feel happy! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your ribbon flowers are so delicate and beautiful Andrea. I love them! And of course, I love the houses too (I just used that die for the first time myself). Gorgeous patterns and colours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow Andrea...your tiny houses are so pretty...love the stamping and those crinkle ribbon flowers are genius...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a delightful and fabulous project, Andrea. Love the beautiful patterns on the background of these two little houses. The flowers you made are so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. They're so cute! I love all those artsy details, and the colors are glorious. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These houses are so pretty, Andrea! Love the whimsical style and the flowers are stunning! Love them! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete