Monday, March 27, 2017

My Cards and Tags: Making Masks and Stencils from a Stamp

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Theme is, "Things with Wings."  I went for a classic bird shape, which I made into five ATC's.


My bird shape started out as an adorable Darkroom Door stamp called "Robin."  You can easily turn any stamp into a simple stencil/mask combo by stamping the image, then fussy-cutting around it.  I don't stab a hole in the middle to cut the shape out because I want to preserve the inside shape, too.  So I just cut straight into the image from the edge of the paper and then tape that cut back together after I've cut the middle out (you can see my "supplementary cut" if you look closely at the lower right corner of the image).



Now you have a stencil you can use to trace other birds (which is what I did) and you have the inside bird, which you can flip over and use the back of to decorate (which I also did).

Next was to make my ATC backgrounds.  I started with Strathmore Mixed Media paper and cut out the cards with a Project Life die and my Sizzix Big Shot (my cards aren't true ATC's because they're 3" x 4", but I went with it anyway).  I glued on scraps of patterned paper cut in circles and strips and added some Washi tape.



I followed this with some acrylic paint.  I used a lot of white and then some streaks of color.  As usual, probably because I'm lazy, I smeared the paint on with my fingers instead of using brushes.



With my backgrounds complete, I went on to embellish either the bird shape or the negative bird shape from the stencils/masks I made earlier.

On the card below, I added some stamping, more Washi, and Distress Ink.  I left the card background showing through my bird stencil.  I also added a sentiment word to each ATC.  The text stamping on every card is from the same Paper Artsy stamp set.  I also used Tim Holtz Symphony Washi and Doodlebug Spring Garden Washi on several of the cards.



On this next card, I used a Seth Apter Spellbinders ring in the background (Robo Rings set), but I used the negative space left between two of the rings that I cut instead of one of the actual ring shapes.  I went with kind of a party raven vibe.



The card below utilizes another Seth Apter die (Ring Around) and I cut the bird out of some floral patterned paper from the Happiness is Homemade collection by Echo Park.  I used the new Tim Holtz Lower Type alphabet stamps (sideways) for some lettering in the back.  The "I have a song" sentiment is from an old book.



For the card below, I used another Seth Apter die (Splatter Proof) and some Tim holtz ruler ribbon.  I'm loving Bo bunny's Faith collection, where the yellow polka-dot patterned paper came from.



Lastly, on this pink version, I used another bird stencil and let the background show through.  I also used some Washi from my stash.  The gray circles that I stamped are from Simon Says Stamp's I Love Donuts stamp set.



Here are the supplies I used, which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:


This week's theme is so timely with all the Springy things that are flying around!  I can't wait to see what you submit to our Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!  When you enter your creation, you will also be entered to win the random $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store.

20 comments:

  1. Andrea, These are great! Love your mixed media aesthetic. Thanks for the tip about not stabbing your bird. I've been known to stab quite a few items in the process of fussy cutting. LOL And, thanks for the kind words you left when visiting my blog. I really appreciated them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE these Andrea! the bird is super cute and I love the colours and layering of details,. the designs are absolutely gorgeous!!

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful as always (your art is always so upbeat)! Great technique and step-out, too. You found the perfect sentiment for the rosie bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of your backgrounds are amazing, Andrea! The way you used the stamp and turned it into a stencil, so clever, and your colors are always amazing and beautiful.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. these cards are fabulous Andrea!! Loving your color palette and that is a great bird/stamp/stencil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your collages amaze me each week! I love the negative die-cutting background and use them a lot too, they give an interesting effect. Love the colors as always which brings sunshine to my eyes. Crazy and lovely! Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another post which just makes me happy - the rainbow collage layers and the fabulous bird silhouette in all its variations - lovely, lovely!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I saw these yesterday my heart skipped a beat....in a good way! lol STUNNINGLY designed--as always! I adore those birds, especially the one with the Party hat....what a hoot! Fantastic layers and colors. I truly don't know how you keep them looking so pretty, mine would be a muddy mess :) Craft On!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these so much! They are pure joy on paper! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so fun, Andrea! The birdie with the party hat is my fave :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well these are super fun ATC's, Andrea! I like how some are the stencil and some the bird and you did something different with each one. Love how you used Seth's dies on these, and in my world, paint and fingers are made for each other!! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fabulous ATC's...each of them are little works of art in their own right and you've packed so much detail into them! They are gorgeous Andrea, creativity at it's best and so much fun... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. amazeballs Andrea...how can you get so much amazing detail on such a small space...you rock...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know I love these! 3x4" is a perfect size-- more practical than an ATC, what with the extra 3.25 square inches of real estate😂 I love the floral bird, but anything with the distinctive party-raven vibe always gets me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love love love these cute birds, Andrea. The colors and all the details on these ATCs are fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOve love love how you use Seth's dies! I bought some of them and I can't wait to use! Your project is fantastic and so original as always! barbara

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE these cards Andrea! They are amazing. All those layers of patterns, paint, stamping and die cuts. The birds are perfect. I thought I recognized the shape of the bird, and then realised it is because I have that stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great cards Andrea. Bright, beautiful and fun.

    ReplyDelete