Monday, August 14, 2017

My Other Creations: Mermaid Notebook Using Tim Holtz's Picture Wheel die

The theme over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog is "nautical."  I just returned from a wonderful trip along the coast where the quaint little gift shops celebrated all things mermaid.  I decided to make a notebook/binder that an artsy mermaid might own.


I started with a Tim Holtz worn cover, which I painted and dripped Infusions Royal Blood and A Bit Jaded all over.  I was going for a drippy underwater look.



Next I took a color wheel and used the same technique- added paint, ink and Infusions.  On top of the color wheel, I attached a picture wheel die-cut that was colored with Distress Stain and texture paste that was smeared through a bubble stencil (see previous post here for more details).



I added some colored scraps and shapes (some cut with the Tim Holtz Trellis die) as I tried to channel Ariel (Disney's Little Mermaid) and her habit of treasuring little pieces of everything lovely.  I added sprays of green stars to the corners, which I thought sort of replicated the look of seaweed.  Then I added a sentiment from a WPlus9 stamp set called Stardust.  I also dyed a piece of crinkle ribbon using Distress Stain which I looped through the spine of the book.



Here are the supplies I used which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:


I can't wait to see what nautical treasures you whip up this week!  Upload your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store.



13 comments:

  1. Fabulous journal Andrea, just perfect for a little mermaid!! What an original and super cute idea!! Love the colours and whole design of this :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool, Andrea! I love the bright colors against the black background. The concept is so clever and unique. I love it!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! You did everything on the wheel die cut, stencil, pastes, watercolors, a lot of different and interested details. Love the explosion of colors as always! Hugs, Marzena.

    ReplyDelete
  4. brilliant use of the color wheel Andrea! Love all the layers and details on this journal cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a brilliant design, Andrea. Love the beautiful colors and all the fabulous details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Andrea...such a gorgeous cover!!! It's colorful and absolutely brilliant!!!! Huge hugs xxx Simona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute and clever project, Andrea! I love how you incorporated the color wheel!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant use of color, matey!! What a cool way to use the color wheel to make a much more fun and exciting one, Andrea! Love that you thought of pirates and mermaids when you created this! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fabulous explosion of colour and I love how you've used the wheel...so, so clever my friend! The whole project is just wonderful and so inspiring, amazing work as always Andrea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. your creative mind never fail! Every week is a surprise, a beautiful surprise! i never thought to use Tim's die in this way! love love love! Brilliant project! barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the way your mind works my sweet creative friend and love how you used the picture wheel die...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cool, Andrea! I would have stopped after the first step, but I really love your colorful style, so I'm glad you didn't! And to use that colorwheel like this is amazing! Stunning piece! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic project Andrea! I love all those layers and what a great idea to use a color wheel.

    ReplyDelete