Sunday, July 27, 2014

My Other Creations: Jenga Word Blocks

The Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog encouraged us to be inspired by the letter J this week.  I was struggling until I was re-organizing a closet and came across our Jenga game.  Ding!  I was intrigued by the wooden blocks, but since I'm too lazy to cut and sand wood blocks myself, I decided to just pilfer a few from our Jenga set.  I made them into word blocks and this set expresses my crafty mood.  I can switch out the bottom block with a different mood when needed.



The ink I used to color my blocks is an amazing type of ink I was recently introduced to called Memento Luxe.  Made by Tsukineko, Memento Luxe comes in the form of spongy ink pads with ink that works on any porous surface, including fabric (permanent when heat set).  So I tried it out on my wood blocks and it worked like a charm!  The thing I like about Memento Luxe is that it has great coverage, rich colors, and the ink actually dries!  No worries of color smearing off my wooden blocks.



These blocks were pretty easy to make.  I measured the size of patterned paper I would need for the fronts, cut out a few pieces, adhered them to the blocks, stamped the words on with black ink and alphabet stamps, then inked around them with Memento Luxe (applied with a sponge). 



Now the only trick is to have an excuse ready when my family discovers the Jenga set is short a few blocks!

Here are some of the products I used that you can get at Simon Says Stamp:



Feeling inspired by the letter J?  Upload your masterpieces to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win the $50 gift voucher to Simon Says Stamp!


http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

26 comments:

  1. You're incredible! This work is incredible! Wonderful idea! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.Love this project and what a fantastic take on the challenge.Love the inking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stroke of genius, love your word blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool, Andrea! Love your unique style! Love the words you've chosen. Really stunning! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a clever idea. At work we used to have sticker with happy, sad etc faces as a way of letting the team know while on calls. This makes it so much more fun. Mayb I'll make this for my team when I go back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant and so pretty! Love the mix of words and patterns! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful idea (beautifully done too)! I'm going to have to do this project with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prepare for this to go viral! Such a great idea, love the bright colors and perfect word choices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a fun and fabulous project! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these! So vibrant and fun. Will have to check out that Memento Luxe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing idea !! I love your work .. they are always so cool !

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are wonderful! I love the colours you chose and the words you used. The inking over the background papers looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE what you did with those blocks. I may have to find a Jenga game set just for the blocks. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cool Andrea! Love your altered Jenga pieces! So unique and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these block, so vibrant in colours and gorgeous design. This Mementos look great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your altered Jenna pieces Andrea . Love the inspiring wording too and the fabulous pops of colour. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This project made me smile. It's brilliant. Jenga! I love that!
    If my life begins to tumble down, I'd like the pieces to look like your Jenga blocks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another fantastic idea Andrea! Like you, I like to work on wood, but never get to making or having pieces made. Love these blocks and the words and colours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can I tell you how much I just LOVE this project Andrea?!?!? Wow!!!! You better just put the "brilliant" block at the end of that Jenga Sentence for the next few weeks :) Such an inspired idea. Love those colors and the pattern paper that you used. Wow ... oh I already said that ... that's ok ... it needed to be said again. Wonderful make my friend!!! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jenga!! Yes!! I love how creative your mind is! The colors are so vibrant (thank you LUXE!) very fun project!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic - I've been so tempted by our Jenga blocks, but I think my niece and nephew would be very cross if I raided them! Now I'm even more tempted... Fabulous colours, so much fun!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are beautiful! This would be so fun for kids to create word combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a clever idea! Wow! That's really out of the box thinking! The colors really pop and you got great texture on these as well! Outstanding Job! Thanks for the blog luv! Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  25. A wonderful, wonderful project and such an inspirational idea! You are so, so clever Andrea, and I just adore your amazing work! Hope you have a great weekend... :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh my goodness! this has to be the coolest take on this challenge ever! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete