Sunday, August 3, 2014

My Other Creations: "Love" Photo Holder

This week's theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog is all about FAMILY!  A family of products, a family of people-- any family tie in.  Since I seem to be in game piece re-purposing mode, I decided to turn this lonely Scrabble tile tray into a photo holder to display pictures of family members or our favorite family vacation spots.


I made this by painting a Scrabble tile tray (awesome thrift store find!) with a couple of coats of white Gesso and some acrylic light teal paint.  Then, using a sponge, I added more color to the tray by using my new favorite ink that works great on wood: Memento Luxe.  I blended together Pear Tart, Bahama Blue and Blue Danube.  I also stamped some subtle black text onto the wood.

Next I cut out the word "Love" using Tim Holtz's Word Play die cutting alphabet.  I cut the letters out of chipboard and patterned paper and glued them together, inked them, then glued them to the tray base.  


I also watercolored this cute little guy from Tim Holtz's Winged Things II stamp set and added him to the other side.  To the back of the tray, I attached some Prima roses.  I did this because I needed something tall at the back of the tray so that the pictures would have something to lean against to be able to stand up straight (the tray was too shallow to hold the pictures up by itself).  I also added some ruler ribbon to the background.


Here's what the picture holder looks when holding a photo (I snapped this shot at sunset at one of my family's favorite beaches):


This project was fun to make and I like the flexibility of being able to swap the photo out so easily.  You could also put family quotes, mottos, notes or handmade cards on this little holder.  Either way, I feel very blessed to have a wonderful family that has given me so many happy memories.

Here are the products that I used that you can find at Simon Says Stamp:




How will you interpret our family theme?  I can't wait to see what you come up with!  Be sure to upload your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog to be eligible to win the Simon Says Stamp $50 gift voucher.

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

21 comments:

  1. What a neat idea!I love the colour sceme that you have choses.That teal makes me so happy and so do the pattern papers you chose for the sentiment.Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative! I love this idea! I'm going to keep my eye out for old game pieces when i thrift shop! Thank you for sharing this with us. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, this is gorgeous. I love the way you did the word Love. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute and full of whimsy. What a clever idea to repurpose a Scrabble tray. I see you have used those tiny roses on a wire that I've seen before and are so much fun. I just have a big smile on my face right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so amazing Andrea! Love the beautiful color palette! All the distressing looks fabulous! So fun and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you're are altering your games. It must be so much to play with those colorful beauties. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to have to find these inks...they are luscious!!! What a great piece, full of whimsy....a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So clever! Love scrabble and now i am going to have to think about this for my dad as he is one of my biggest competitor and I know he would love a picture of his grandkids in scrabble tile frame! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! This is wonderful! I love the whimsical styling of a humble game piece. I keep looking at those flowers. I'm awestruck by their ability to stand so erect. It's as if they have something to say. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely photo holder! Your use of bright colors always makes me happy and I like the quirky design of this piece as well :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your project is awesome! I love the cute flowers and those fun letters :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you create, I love your style, I love the colors you use! I confess, I would like to have your creation in my home! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh YOU!!! You are way to much.. .I LOVE this Andrea... really outstandingly delicious... the part I LOVE the best... is the color of the letters... not kidding... it may sound weird... but certain colors put together in a certain way I really LOVE.. and this happens to really be a good feeling when I see these letters/colors... I love it... the whole idea is so much fun... and wild... only YOU would think of something as unique as this... Just wonderful... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. most fabulous! LOVE The whimsy :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is adorable and so practical too! Love what you did with your Thrift Store find, I have to go find me an old Scrabble game!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing transformation - brilliant !!¬

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another wonderful idea from you Andrea! Love how you altered this into something so special. The colours are wonderful and the letters, flowers and stamped guy all look so great together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Once again, you've made me smile wide with this wonderful piece of artwork, it's just stunning and I adore the colours you've used and the little stamped image is perfect as the finishing touch ~ love it! Have a great weekend, Andrea... :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. All your quirky originality in full flow here - this is a joy!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. This made me laugh, which is good cos a little while ago I stood on my laptop and the screen is feeling very unhappy. A laugh is just what we needed. Hugs

    ReplyDelete