Sunday, October 26, 2014

My Cards and Tags: Eye of Newt Test Tube and Tag

Halloween is only days away and the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog's theme is, "This is a Treat."  So what's my treat?  A necklace pendant of newt eyeballs on a spook-tacular tag.


If you're feeling like you need an eyeball jar pennant, here's how I made it:

Start with a Tim Holtz apothecary jar and some plastic eyeballs (I used 5 mm size).  In order for the eyeballs to look realistic from any angle, glue two eyeballs back to back.  Warning!  The patience level needed for gluing tiny eyeballs back to back is HIGH!


While the glue on your eyeballs dries, make a label for your test tube.  When your eyeballs are dry, load them into your test tube and prepare the cork topper by inserting a head pin up through the bottom of the cork.  Add a decorative cap or bead to the top, then bend the pin into a loop with some pliers.  Glue the cork in place so no eyeballs go AWOL.


I made the tag by smearing on some various shades of Distress Ink, then made circles with a black Sharpie and a Prima stencil.  I added some black watercolor dribbles coming out of the black circles.  I heat embossed a spiderweb onto the tag with black embossing powder and a stamp from Tim Holtz's Mini Blueprints stamp set.  I added some yarns and fibers to the top of the tag and a "For You" sentiment.


Thread your eyeball test tube through a necklace chain, attach it to the tag and you've made the perfect Halloween treat!

Here are the supplies I used, which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:



So what treats will you come up with for this week's challenge?  I can't wait to see your treaty-genius in action!  Upload your projects to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog and you'll automatically be entered to win a $50 voucher to Simon Says Stamp.  Now that's what I call a treat!

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/