Sunday, October 12, 2014

My Other Creations: Decorative Folio

Our theme this week at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog is, "O is for...."  I went with O is for Organization by spiffing up this cool ready-made Collection Folio by Tim Holtz.


I started by making a paper collage to cover the front flap.  I used paper from Prima's "Free Spirit" collection, but it was a bit too bold for the look I was wanting.  I did a light wash of watered-down Gesso over the top to tone it down and smeared on some Distress Ink here and there.  I then stamped some black flowers on it from Paper Artsy to tie in the black elastic the keeps the folio shut.


But the flowers stood out way more than I expected, even after I smudged them with water.  Whoopsie!  No problem.  I fussy cut some of those cloud/puff shapes from my extra patterned paper and used them, along with a fabric scrap, to hide some of that excessive black.  I also added a Tim Holtz ruler to the spine and covered the fold-over flap with paper from Prima's "Epiphany" collection (LOVE IT).


I stamped some other images and sentiments on and the last step was to add a profound title like, "Important Stuff," which I made with fabric scraps, Tim Holtz Alpha Tiles and Tim Holtz Label Letters.


If you're going to be organized, you might as well do it in style, I suppose!  Here are the supplies I used on my folio, which you can find at Simon Says Stamp:



Oh how will you use the letter O this week?  Can't wait to see!  And remember that when you upload your fab creations to the Simon Says stamp Monday Challenge Blog, you will be automatically entered for the $50 voucher to the Simon Says Stamp store!
http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

16 comments:

  1. LOVE this!!! I have been trying to get my hands on one of these folios and they are always out of stock... lucky lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong with being organized and make it BETTER by making it pretty to look at :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beauteous! Love the colors and the fact that you titled it important stuff. My kids would get a kick out of that as Mom doesn't have anything important. :) Lovely and inspiring as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must have been living under a rock. I didn't even know these Folios existed until I saw yours! I love this! I can imagine the fun you're going to have with this baby. If you pull this out of your bag in public, be prepared to be mobbed by "ooh's" and "aah's." It's THAT fabulous!
    I'm also impressed with what you've done with those papers. I like that line. I like it even more with gesso. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the patterns and colors on the background! This is such a fun and awesome project. Great inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. your works always catch my attention, you know to use the colors in an incredible way! Fantastic project! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous folio, Andrea! I love the way you use that color palette, soft but bright at the same time. Really pretty! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Andrea! Beautiful organization folio! Love all the swatches of fabric and blended background!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What can I say? You've done it again, Andrea!! :) This is just beautiful and so creative and I always love how you use colour in such a wonderful way ~ just fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is stunning Andrea! Wonderful colours and paper choices and I love the fabric and title letters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew that this was you... the colors, the design, the thinking that goes on in your mind.. the love that pours out for all of the above.... great piece of ART Andrea... it is really YOU... love it and all that happens when you create your paper fun... or I should say your color FUN... love it... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. So gorgeous, love this creation and the most gorgeous papers, texture and colours...
    My blog candy ends soon..
    aNNie xx
    The Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrea...your folio is fabulous. I totally am drawn to your style of art. It just makes you happy to see it. You always use happy colors and your work us always so beautifully done. This folio for important stuff is awesome! I even love your letters "important stuff"! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete